Job no: 516271
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing
Department:29050400 - MD-CARDIOLOGY
Technical WriterJob Description:
The Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Research is seeking a full time Technical Writer. The purpose of this position is to provide high-quality and timely scientific writing support to faculty and administrative personnel within the University of Florida, Division of Cardiovascular Research. Reporting directly to the Director of Research for the Clinical Trials Section for the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, and working closely with members of the Division of Cardiovascular Research Leadership, and Principal and Co-Investigators the incumbent is responsible for participating as a key contributor in document development and control for Division of Cardiovascular Research grant applications to foundations, industry, federal, state or other potential sponsors; ensuring that all presented information is accurate and written in accordance with applicable funding institute requirements, policy, and instructions. The Scientific Writer will also be responsible for development of document templates including standard language to facilitate multiple submissions of similar documents; graphical design to visually represent scientific findings; writing assigned components of documents; editing for grammar, readability, clarity, consistency, and conformance with any applicable requirements; and, management of the document development and delivery process.
Division of Cardiovascular Research Grant Support:
- Working with other members of the Clinical Trials Section, actively participates in the development, implementation, and maintenance of all aspects the Division of Cardiovascular Research competitive applications and progress report templates.
- Collaborates with narrative authors and other key senior leadership authors in the development of section narratives and administrative components (non-budget) of grant proposals.
- Responsible for formatting, substantive editing, proofreading, and finalizing the document, as required and requested. Implements the style guide and ensures adherence of the grant to latest NIH or other sponsor guidelines.
- Responsible for the development of a standard style guide and review criteria for data checking and content verification.
- Ensures the readability, clarity, consistency, and conformance to sponsor submission requirements.
- Responsible for developing reports documenting grant findings and developing presentations in collaboration with investigators for dissemination to sponsors, the scientific community, and/or the public.
- Communicates (telephone, email, meetings) with principal investigator and key senior leadership authors as necessary to ensure the accuracy and clarity of the documents and to meet both internal and sponsor submission deadlines
- Works with team members on data collection, analysis, and developing the narratives
Division of Cardiovascular Research Writing Responsibilities:
- Works with Principal and Co-Investigators, and Division Editorial Staff to facilitate the rapid dissemination of research findings into the peer reviewed literature.
- Develops and maintains complex research proposal-related templates with a consistent style throughout, and facilitates development of multi-investigator grants such as P01s
- Responsible for determining if documents and templates conform with all applicable regulations, current guidance, and policies; informs appropriate PI or director as required and suggests appropriate correction
- Develops and maintains templates that facilitate subsequent submissions to common audiences (journal, national meeting, etc.)
- Responsible for formatting, substantive editing, proofreading, and finalizing documents as required and requested
- Ensures that the applications conform to the appropriate style requirements as specified by the funding agency
- Maintains Division of Cardiovascular Research SOPs and/or policies, to include internal and external safety reporting requirements for active clinical protocols
Scientific Productivity Reporting:
- Maintains clinicaltrials.gov for all Investigator initiated or sponsored projects with establishment through to research findings reporting.
- Works with the Division Editorial staff to update and maintain the in-house publications management system for Division of Cardiovascular Research
- Serves as back up to the Editorial staff to track progress and responds to publication queries, as appropriate
- Works with the Editorial staff to maintain and update Division of Cardiovascular Research member biosketches and other support documentation for inclusion in grant submissions.
- Works with team members on reporting scientific metrics and research member grant outcomes for Division of Cardiovascular Research
Scientific Manuscripts, Posters, and Web content:
- Responsible for editing all extramurally-funded proposals for grammar, readability, clarity, consistency, and conformance with all applicable requirements
- Determines (to the extent possible based on content knowledge) that document language requested to review is scientifically accurate, consistent, and justifiable; notifies appropriate PI or director as required and suggests new language, as required
- Works closely with presenters in the development of scientific presentations, ensuring accuracy and adherence to length and time allowed for presentation
- Assists with preparation of posters required for site visit and other venues to highlight scientific discoveries and latest initiatives underway at UF and Division of Cardiovascular Research.
- Conforms to deadlines through a combination of excellent document- and project-management skills
$38,900 - $40,000Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area; or an associates degree and two years of relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Fully proficient with MS applications
- Advanced, or terminal degree in a science or health profession strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with University and Division of Cardiovascular Research leadership, and staff members, vendors and volunteers to achieve the goals of each project being managed.
- High level of attention to detail
- Advanced understanding of medical and scientific terminology
- Experience analyzing data, interpreting information, and providing logical conclusions
- Experience in technical/scientific writing or scientific manuscript preparation and submission
- Experience in document management and version control
- Data processing including statistical analysis desired but not required, presentations, and scientific publishing
- Demonstrated problem-solving and interpersonal skills that facilitate effective interactions within cross- functional teams and with external customers
- Excellent ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments with competing deadlines.
- Experience with reference management, graphics, web-design or publishing software a plus.
- High level of proficiency in Adobe, graphic illustration software, and various databases.
- Ability to work in and appreciate a culturally diverse organization
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven work atmosphere and able to assess environment and adjust plans according to situation with a solution-oriented perspective
- Demonstrated integrity, dependability, sound judgment, teamwork and resourcefulness to establish and maintain collaborative, positive and effective working relationships with multiple internal and external partners on behalf of the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine Clinical Trials Section.
In order to be considered, you must upload your resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 06 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 13 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time