Director of Athletics, Recreation & Phys Educ
Job Title: Director of Athletics, Recreation and Physical Education
Reports To: Vice President for Students
Status: Exempt, Full Time
The Director of Athletics, Recreation, and Physical Education, as a member of the Student Affairs staff, is responsible for directing and leading student athletes within the College’s and Athletic Department’s mission statement and within the guidelines and principles of NCAA Division III membership. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage all facets of the athletic program including overseeing of staff, coaches, facilities, athletic training, fundraising, scheduling, and the hiring and training of staff.
2. Daily oversight for 21 intercollegiate sports programs which include NCAA, ECAC, and Skyline conference matters.
3. Work cooperatively with the Office of Admissions to support the recruitment of student athletes, including projecting and achieving team recruitment goals.
4. Ensure campus compliance with NCAA Division III regulations, Title IX, and college and/or state policies; ensure necessary reports are filed to include EADA filing and all reports for NCAA.
5. Conduct meaningful supervision and performance evaluations of all professional staff in the department, which includes attending team practices and games to provide in-person support.
6. Oversee and manage the athletic departmental budget.
7. Assist coaches in developing strong academic and social intervention programs to bolster student-athlete success, retention, and graduation rates.
8. Work closely with the Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR) to foster student-athlete success.
9. Provide oversight to ensure quality intramural and recreation offerings.
10. Plan and implement a yearly “Hall of Fame” induction ceremony.
11. Administer and assess department programs as directed by the Vice President for Students; vision to implement new program initiatives as appropriate.
12. Plan and implement physical education courses as well as the hiring and supervising of the instructors under the oversight of the VPAA and Office of the Registrar.
13. Oversee equipment and inventory management.
14. Oversee the coordination of outside vendors including bus transportation, referees, student-athlete meals, etc.
15. Oversee the Senior Woman Administrator, and the SAAC program.
16. Work with Sports Information Director on daily administrative duties.
17. Work with the Assistant Director on the scheduling of game day managers to ensure effective game day administration, as well as building staff for the daily running of the athletic facilities
18. Develop, plan, and implement approved marketing and fundraising efforts to advance MSMC athletics.
19. Oversee the summer camps coordinator with camp budgets, revenues and expenses, enrollment numbers, hiring of workers, safety of camps, etc.
20. Develop collaborative and effective relationships with various campus offices, including but not limited to admissions, financial aid, registrar, student accounts, academic affairs, facilities and operations, etc.
21. Work with the local and regional communities on matters associated with Mount Saint Mary College athletics.
22. Represent the college on Skyline Conference matters, NCAA and ECAC committees, and other regional associations when applicable, as well as work with the NCAA on grants and other initiatives.
23. Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Students and/or her designee.
1. Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred in a relevant field
2. Minimum of three to five years administrative experience preferably as Director or an Assistant Director at NCAA Division III institution
3. Proficiency with NCAA Division III rules and regulations
4. Proven track record of strong leadership, management, and supervisory skills
5. Must possess computer skills, written and verbal communications skills, and organizational skills
6. Ability to work evenings and weekends
7. Demonstrated experience with fund-raising and athletic recruitment
Review of applications begins immediately.
Mount Saint Mary College is an independent, co-educational, comprehensive liberal arts institution of Catholic Dominican heritage overlooking the Hudson River, about 60 miles north of New York City. The college enrolls a diverse population of 2,600 full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students and enjoys an excellent reputation for the quality of its education, nursing, science, and business programs.