Academic & Career Advisor
Academic & Career AdvisorClassification Title:
Student Services CoordinatorMin Salary:
$ 56,718Max Salary:
$ 65,225Salary Type:
E = ExemptPosition Summary::
The Academic and Career Advisor is responsible for providing professional academic and career advice along with general college information to students and prospective students. Advising responsibilities include educational program planning, career exploration, transfer planning, and assisting students with integrating career and educational goals. Advisors may provide short-term intervention and support for concerns related to academic success along with referrals to community resources as appropriate.
This class is the third of four levels in the Student Services series. Incumbents support students in their educational efforts by providing career and academic advising. Responsibilities include maintaining a caseload of students; determining student eligibility for services and admissions; locating social services or academic resources for students; presenting workshops or coursework in the student success and study skills course; maintaining student records; and monitoring student persistence.Staff Required Education/Experience::
Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, human services, social worker or related field, and at least four (4) years of related human services experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Incumbents may be required to obtain a Master’s degree within a time specified by the College.Desired Education/Experience/Skills::
Master’s Degree preferred.Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities::
Knowledge of all Rowan-Cabarrus academic program requirements, the Rowan-Cabarrus career and academic advising model, general advising principles; program coordination principles and practices; customer service principles; diverse populations and cultures; recordkeeping principles; public speaking skills; computers and related software applications. Applicable academic programs, academic advising, and/or related programs; Academic counseling principles; Program coordination principles and practices; Customer service principles; Academic program requirements; Diverse populations and cultures; Recordkeeping principles; Public speaking skills; Computers and related software applications.
•Coordinating academic programs or services.
• Advising students on academic issues.
• Providing program support.
• Analyzing processes and making recommendations for improvement.
• Maintaining confidentiality.
• Preparing and maintaining records.
• Using a computer and related software applications.
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Student Advocacy Services - SouthWork Hours::
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Some weekend and evening hours
04/24/2021Open Until Filled:
NoDuty and Responsibility::
1. Coordinates assigned program and/or service, ensuring alignment with overall College goals; coordinates department functions and/or services, which may include counseling students on coursework; determining student eligibility for services and admissions; locating social services or academic resources for students as requested; developing and presenting workshops regarding academics and student services; arranging logistics related to travel, housing or activities for prospective students and parents; and performing related duties.Duty and Responsibility::
2. Manages a caseload of students advising them on a variety of issues related to assigned academic area(s).Duty and Responsibility::
3. Prepares, reviews, and submits a variety of operational and student records, reports, and related documents and information.Duty and Responsibility::
4. Monitors program participation, evaluates program performance, and recommends program improvements.Duty and Responsibility::
5. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.