Chief Advancement Officer
Chief Advancement OfficerTracking Code423-262 Job Description
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs.
The College seeks a Chief Advancement Officer who is comfortable being both strategic and hands-on. Successful leadership at MCC requires a commitment to the College’s mission and vision, participation in the academic, athletic, and artistic life of the campus, and interaction with the community. Understanding of, and respect for, the concept and process of shared governance, integrity in actions, and clear, consistent communication with all constituencies also are critical to success. This person will have a passion for higher education and student success, with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Through the Foundation for Muskegon Community College, this leader’s passion for higher education and student support will be demonstrated through their motivating community service-oriented philosophy. They will be an agile, team-oriented professional with a track record of inspiring leadership and a strong commitment to collaboration, equity, diversity, and inclusion. This individual will lead, guide and direct all matters pertaining to and the overall success of the Foundation for Muskegon Community College. As the face of the Foundation, the officer sets the strategic vision and priorities for the organization. Directs and administers all aspects of the Foundation including day to day. This includes but is not limited to major gifts, annual giving, capital campaigns, and alumni and donor relations. This position reports to the President, is part of the President’s Cabinet and chairs the Foundation Board.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 2, 2021Required Skills
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree with advancement/fund development certification required or Master’s degree preferred with advancement, fundraising or finance experience.
- The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience, preferably working in higher education or a non-profit advancement department with a track record of effective leadership, relationship building, growth of gifts and funds with increasing responsibilities.
- Prefer Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), Advanced Certified Fund Raising Executive (ACFRE), and/or Certified Research Administrator (CRA) credentials.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgement and discretion, and to relate to people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated commitment to mentoring, developing and managing collaborative teams.
- Gifted in public speaking and representing the organization professionally and graciously in the community and on campus.
- Skill in implementing strategic plans, goals, and procedures for cost effective management of allocated resources.
- Ability to communicate, build relationships and work with a diverse group of employees, alumni and potential donors.
- Demonstrated strengths in technology; Strong Microsoft Office skills, including Excel, and use of social media, managing data such as in Razor’s Edge. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- A valid driver’s license with an approved driving record is required.
- Ability to be away from principal work site during the day and other travel as required.
- Ability to work extended hours during the work week and weekends.
- Develops and implements the annual Fund Development Plan with defined goals and objectives for annual fund contributions, restricted gifts, and major/planned gifts.
- Provides daily oversight and administration of fundraising including major, principal, and planned gifts, endowments, prospect research, foundation, corporate and donor relations as well as specific campaign efforts. Manages the Annual Fund effort to meet the annual fund-raising targets established in the Development Plan.
- Stewards major gifts, planned giving, and endowment initiatives:
- Identifies and builds relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations in support of MCC and its programs.
- Solicits individual and corporate gifts from existing and potential major donors.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☒ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☒ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Job Location Muskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular