Vice President of Finance & CFO
Vice President of Finance & CFOTracking Code424-262 Job Description
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs.
The College seeks a new vice president who is comfortable being both strategic and hands-on. Successful leadership at MCC requires a commitment to the College’s mission and vision, participation in the academic, athletic, and artistic life of the campus, and interaction with the community. Understanding of, and respect for, the concept and process of shared governance in academia, integrity in actions, and clear, consistent communication with all constituencies also are critical to success. This person will have a passion for higher education and student success, with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the Vice President of Finance is the institution’s chief financial officer, providing financial leadership to the campus community and collaborates to accomplish strategic priorities. Reporting to the President, the VPF supervises all accounting and financial services functions. In addition, the VPF works closely with leadership as the administrative liaison to the Board of Trustees and the Foundation for Muskegon Community College.
Responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating policies and programs for all financial activities. This position ensures effective and efficient operations in all day-to-day functions of the Financial Services Office, which collectively provides protection to the college’s assets, soundness to its financial records, and integrity to its underlying systems. To this end, this position plays an essential role in coordinating communications, developing, and implementing policies and procedures in addition to training for college-wide finance-related processes, and contributing to the development of an environment where high levels of professionalism, collaboration and customer service are held as guiding principles.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 16, 2021Required Skills
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- MBA or related advanced degree required with CPA preferred.
- Five years of progressively increasing experience in the finance area, managing a staff with diverse responsibilities.
- Higher Education experience is highly desirable as well as experience in business, non-profits and/or other sectors.
- Gifted in public speaking and representing the organization professionally and graciously in the community and on campus.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgement and discretion, and to relate to people of all ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds.
- Outstanding communicator, a strategic thinker and possess strong and effective interpersonal skills that engender trust and cultivate collaboration.
- Exceptional financial leader with superior analytical and management skills as well as experience in the use of financial management systems and a willingness to explore new and creative opportunities for ensuring the College’s financial health.
- Adept at managing multiple priorities simultaneously, be entrepreneurial in spirit, take prudent risks and promote a culture dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Understand the higher education landscape and the challenges that higher education is currently facing.
- Manage complex financial transactions and have the ability to achieve goals using influence and negotiation skills.
- Ability to share complex financial analysis in a simple/direct manner especially in public board meetings.
- Skilled in compassionate leadership and collaborative problem solving.
- Skill in implementing strategic plans, goals, and procedures for cost effective management of allocated resources.
- Demonstrated strengths in technology; strong Microsoft Office skills, including Excel, and managing data. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work extended hours during the workweek and weekends.
- Select, motivate, counsel, coach, evaluate, develop, train and discipline departmental staff as appropriate with sound supportive leadership and supervisory skills.
- Oversee preparation and administration of the College budget including all funding sources and finances of the Foundation of Muskegon Community College.
- Develop analysis of all financial aspects of the educational plan.
- Manages and implements sound fiscal and financial operating policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively to advance the College’s strategic goals, collaborates on budget development/long-term financial management for all campus operations.
- Oversees auditing, budgeting, procurement, accounts payable/receivable, and student accounts.
- Represents the College in local, state, and national professional organizations and establishes linkages with appropriate local, regional, and state resources and agencies and public groups.
- Prepare periodic financial analysis of operations all aspects of the educational plan.
- Approve or determine appropriate approvals of all expenditures of funds.
- Invest idle funds in conjunction with Board Policy.
- Coordinates the development of the annual budget, including multi-year financial projections for planning purposes and special analyses and reports.
- Prepare and administer budget for functions supervised.
- Oversee on-going capital asset inventories.
- Manage all appropriate Activities Classification Structure (ACS), regulatory reporting and compliance activities.
- Participate in and/or lead teams as appropriate to support the cross-functional collegial culture including Foundation of Muskegon Community College.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☒ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☐ Handle or Feel
☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities, women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human Resources Office.
Job Location Muskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular