Lecturer - Wellness & Movement Sciences (One Year Only)
Lecturer - Wellness & Movement Sciences (One Year Only)Posting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
26.09 - Physiology, Pathology & RelatedFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
Minimum salary is $58,208; hiring salary will be dependent on experience and qualifications.Anticipated Start Date:
09/13/2021Term of Appointment:
9 months, mid-September through mid-JuneLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Cynthia ChadwickResponsible HR User:
Saundra GodinResponsible HR User Email address:
The College of Health Science and Public Health invites applications for a Lecturer of Exercise Science/Biomechanics in the Department of Wellness and Movement Sciences (WAMS) to begin mid-September 2021. Appointment rank will be as Lecturer for a one-year only appointment. This position will be re-advertised as a tenure track position with a Fall 2022 start date.
The successful candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in biomechanics, human performance, and research methods/statistics. In addition, the successful candidate will advise undergraduate exercise science students. The candidate will also be a member of the graduate faculty and will teach courses appropriate to their discipline as needed. The successful candidate will also teach other departmental courses as needed, demonstrate teaching excellence, professional growth and service. Interest in online teaching is preferred.
Eastern’s WAMS faculty bring knowledge and experience in teaching, research, and service to their undergraduate and graduate programs. We are especially interested in a colleague who complements our existing faculty, who can develop and maintain strong community relationships, who can serve on department, college and university committees, as well as maintain an active role in a professional organization. The department’s undergraduate programs prepare students to complete degrees in Exercise Science, Health and Physical Education, Public Health, Recreation and Tourism Management, Outdoor Recreation, and Therapeutic Recreation. We have Master of Science degrees in Athletic Training and in Wellness and Movement Sciences with two tracks – Sports and Recreation Administration and Exercise Science.
Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
- This is an open recruitment; three days’ notice will be provided prior to closure of recruitment.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 13,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theaters, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high-quality schools and housing.About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
The person hired into this position will receive a one-year only appointment; however, the upcoming recruitment will be for a full-time, 9-month tenure-track Assistant Professor to begin September 2022. The person hired for the Lecturer position will be eligible to apply for the Assistant Professor position if they possess the required qualifications.
To be considered eligible for appointment into the Lecturer position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/13/2021. (This is for the purpose of attending new faculty orientation sessions and other meetings scheduled by the department, college, and/or university.)
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.Physical Demands :
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical and mental demands.Pre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
Exam gloves. University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Masters Degree from an accredited program in Exercise Science, Biomechanics or a related field;
- Demonstrated strong teaching record (preference given at the college level).
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Preference may be given to candidates who offer one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
- ABD or Doctorate in Exercise Science, Biomechanics or a related field (to qualify for tenure track position start date Fall of 2022);
- Evidence of advising undergraduate students relevant to exercise science, biomechanics or related field;
- Evidence of scholarly activities relevant to biomechanics or related field;
- Experience advising graduate and undergraduate research;
- NSCA certification.
- Time Management
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities. Assignments may include evening classes.Posting Date:
04/05/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
04/23/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, contact Saundra Godin at (509) 359-4681 or at [email protected]
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
- Cover Letter – please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications (if applicable);
- Curriculum Vitae – please include a list of references as the last page of your CV, including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses;
- Teaching Philosophy – maximum of two pages – include a description of your teaching philosophy and a description of your teaching interests;
- As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Note: Letters of reference are not required at this time. We reserve the right to request letters of reference at a future date, such as once we have identified interview candidates.% of Time:
100Responsibility / Duty:
Typical workload for this position will involve 45 credits per academic year, subject to Department needs, mainly at EWU’s main campus in Cheney, WA.
Responsibilities will consist of teaching and/or release time to perform administrative duties, as negotiated and as needed to meet the business needs of the department.
100% Teaching Responsibilities:
- May be required to teach courses that fulfill the need of the Department and Program.
- Advising undergraduate students
- All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and in assessment of student learning outcomes.
Teaching also includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA:
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
- Advise students who are declared majors on department, college and University requirements and career opportunities.