Network Engineer II
Job no: 507773
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Engineering
Categories: Computer & Information Technology, Professional Staff Union (PSU)
Network Engineer II
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Reporting to the Network Engineering Manager, the Network Engineer II is responsible for the technical specification evaluations and recommendations for the enterprise’s networks. This encompasses all areas of enterprise wide connectivity, both analog and digital, that will include system configuration, troubleshooting, security, and resource monitoring to support the University’s strategic plan.
- Designs and builds the University’s computing networks, including data center, wide and local area networks.
- Selects, integrates and configures enterprise-wide computing and network resources.
- Develops network management plans, budgetary requirements and network architecture assessments.
- Prepares advanced layouts and configurations as a normal part of project assignments.
- Performs network integration projects, systems analysis, detailed systems design, and vendor engagement.
- Improves customer satisfaction in reliability, availability, and cost of network service.
- Reviews work for compliance within the established guidelines of national and international standards organizations.
- Delivers the appropriate level of documentation to support recommendations.
- Makes recommendations continually on changes in hardware and network configuration to improve delivery of service, and recommends network technology vendor products and services.
- Informs management of potential network architecture/design problems before they occur and communicates solutions.
- Directs self and the activity of others during the testing, monitoring, and installation of mainframe and network hardware as required.
- Schedules and prioritizes work to accommodate Information Technology and customer needs while minimizing impact on current projects.
- Leads and/or contributes to projects/committees that establish guidelines, set procedures, outline standards, and monitor for industry compliance.
- Contributes to the training and development of Information Technology personnel in direct support of Information Technology delivery of services.
- Works with all departments to make sure that their networks are secure, cost effective, maintainable, and add value to the business.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline with 5 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks. -OR-
- Associate's degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline with 7 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks. – OR-
- At least 1 Advanced Network certification and 8 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks. -OR-
- In lieu of certification, 9 years product evaluation and hands-on work experience in large networks.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex routing problems in a multiple vendor, multiple customer, multi-site environment.
- Advanced routing configuration experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively dealing with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Understanding of enterprise networking as it relates to Identity Management and AAA.
- Ability to document complex technical issues effectively summarizing issues for a range of technical and business management.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Advanced network certification preferred.
- Knowledge of network monitoring tools preferred.
- Optical network design and implementation experience.
- Experience with information security practices and tools including firewall, authentication and authorization.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Regular office activities.
- Varies, 37.5 hours per week.
- Some off- hour/weekend work will be required to respond to critical network problems and modifications. Personal beepers or cell phones may be provided for off-hour contact consistent with departmental policies.
PSU Level 31
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references in order to ensure consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 7 2021 Eastern Daylight Time