Student Services Officer
Student Services Officer 🔍Residential & Dining Enterprises, Stanford, California, United StatesNew📁Facilities📅5 days ago Post Date📅89093 Requisition #ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: The Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”Stanford and R&DE are committed to creating and sustaining a diverse environment. R&DE’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is reflected in our work of providing service excellence to our students. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is foundational to what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other characteristics that make us different. JOB PURPOSE:The Student Services Officer works at the front desk of Housing Assignments. The main function of this position is to assist Stanford students in the Housing Assignments processes. This position serves as the first contact for students requesting information regarding their housing assignments. The position answers student inquiries and explains housing policies in person, through email, and over the phone. This position is responsible for processing requests for changes to student housing contracts and assists in entering data, processing applications, and preparing statistical information for Housing Assignments staff. Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding housing. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment. CORE DUTIES*:
- Serve as one of the primary points of contact for students, parents, faculty, landlords, and staff at the counter, on the phones, and in response to e-mail, often interpreting complex housing assignment policies and procedures. Advise students on registration policies related to University housing and act as the liaison between students and other University offices (including the Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid Office, Student Financial Services, Residence Deans and other residence staff, and academic departments) to resolve enrollment problems. These problems include academic suspension and probation, financial problems, and other problems of a sensitive nature.Interface with Comcast technicians, both over the phone and in person, to troubleshoot internet connectivity issues in approximately 630 off campus units. Act as intermediary between students and Comcast. Travel to off campus properties to accompany technicians as needed.
- Manage payment of utility bills for off campus units. Includes preparing invoices and interfacing with Accounts Payable office, ensuring accuracy of payments and reconciling discrepancies.
- Pick up and deliver checks to off campus properties on regular basis.
- Manage Community Housing email account and respond to Stanford affiliate inquiries. Develop fact sheets and template letters to use in communicating to students through email.
- Review and update annually various paper and online forms used by Housing Assignments.
- Provide general office back-up to Housing Assignments staff in their absence and as needed during peak operational periods. Administer an area or program in student services, evaluate and recommend decisions on program eligibility. Review decisions recommended by other staff.Collaborate with others to help resolve program issues and concerns, interpret policies, and mediate complex and sensitive issues.Resolve multi-dimensional matters in response to students in crisis, at risk, or who have other program issues, counsel students and parents on sensitive and confidential issues.Reconcile complex issues; analyze diverse transactions from multiple sources.Summarize data from multiple sources, prepare management reports and presentations.Identify and evaluate data needs, Develop and Implement plans for outreach efforts, develop and maintain external community and university liaison represent department and university at meetings and events.Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.Serve as a subject matter expert to other departments; represent unit/department.Lead, create and contribute to development of business practices and organizational change to improve processes and workflow.Serve as needed on university wide teams and projects.May train and supervise other staff, volunteers and temporary workers.
- Strong communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.Advanced analysis and problem-solving skills.Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.Advanced customer service skills.Relevant computer systems/technology experience.Understanding of financial transactions.Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Ability to promote diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in the execution of role.
- Successfully combine hard (e.g., technical knowledge, critical and analytical thinking, problem solving) and soft skills (e.g., people skills, communication, such as active listening, interpersonal and intrapersonal relationship, teamwork, emotional intelligence, collaboration/conflict management) to meet position requirements.
- Demonstrates a wide range of people (or soft skills) to build and sustain respectful and collaborative relationships/networks, internal and external to R&DE.
- Demonstrates effective emotional intelligence, especially in situations with time constraints.
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford’s colleagues and clients and with external organizations.Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7502
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 89093