Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff 🔍Other, Stanford, California, United StatesNew📁Administration📅4 days ago Post Date📅89069 Requisition #Stanford University is one of the world’s premier academic and research institutions, devoting tremendous intellectual and physical resources toward the betterment of humanity. As a major Silicon Valley employer, Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. In turn, the university is committed to supporting its employees as they develop their careers and enrich their lives. We believe Stanford’s future success will be shaped by the diverse perspectives, unique experiences, and inclusive culture of its community.Under the Provost, a new office, tentatively named Digital Education & Innovation, will focus on online and digital learning as part of the long-range strategic plan for the University and led by a Special Assistant to the Provost heading this effort. The Chief of Staff will report to the Special Assistant and will provide strategic leadership and management of administrative and operational functions of this university-wide office. They will develop strategies for the office’s initiatives, projects and outreach; identify and engage with internal and external partners; build and jointly supervise a strong and nimble team of professionals to support administration, finance, communications, marketing, data analysis, project management, and direction of programs; and drive the team toward results-driven goals. In addition to the minimum requirements listed below, a strong candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of the university, including the organization’s structure, a wide-range of administrative functions and processes, and the culture across multiple schools and business areas. The incumbent will have a demonstrated track record of working well with all levels of leadership, faculty, staff, students, alumni and outside partners. They will have a background working in education with increasing responsibility in administrative and managerial roles. They will be an excellent problem-solver and be able to resolve complicated issues swiftly and deftly. Responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and direction for all financial, human resources and administrative functions.
- Develop business plans and infrastructure to support goals of the organization. Provide analysis and review of multi-year plans, including providing alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary. Influence leadership on specific recommendations for current operation and for future development of the organization, leading process improvement.
- Oversee and manage short and long term finance planning across all sources for the annual budget cycle including developing, monitoring, analyzing, forecasting and reporting.
- In collaboration with Human Resources, interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures within the organization. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff including career coaching, personal and professional development.
- Collaborate with partners across the university (schools and administrative units) and off campus (non-profits, tech companies, school districts, etc.), ensuring alignment with mission and vision.
- Assist with university-wide initiatives and programs, serving as a champion and connector for the DE&I office, proactively evaluating processes and programs for improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to create the management and administrative infrastructure to support DE&I; direct responsibility for Human Resources, Finance and Administration, Facilities Planning and Management, Health and Safety, Information Technology; management of smaller units such as core facilities, multidisciplinary research programs, interdepartmental programs, and other interdepartmental or interschool entities as they may be developed; collaborative oversight of the management of all other academic and administrative departments.Strong business acumen and analytical skills, demonstrated experience analyzing financial and operational data, applying highly advanced critical-thinking, facilitation, and problem solving skills to develop and apply innovative solutions.Superior organizational skills, with and an ability to work independently, meet deadlines, exercise considerable judgment, discretion, and initiative in coordinating and overseeing the work of others.Ability to initiate and manage multiple projects from inception to completion.Consistently demonstrates and encourages a commitment to quality, productivity and continuous improvement. Highly advanced leadership skills, with the ability to foster teamwork that builds and maintains a climate of trust and inspires commitment from others to achieve organization goals and objectives. Demonstrated exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to motivate, influence and persuade. Ability to interact with all members of the organization in ways that enhance understanding, respect, cooperation and problem solving. Effectively collaborate with senior officers from across the university to develop the goals and vision of DE&I.
- Bachelor’s degree and ten years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience required.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Additional Information
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4134
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: O
- Requisition ID: 89069