Research Assistant, Laboratory
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Institute for Genome Sciences (IGS) is currently recruiting for a Laboratory Research Assistant.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, wipe tests, ELISA assays, preparing solutions, media, stains, and buffers; cultures and specimens; autoradiograms and photomicrographs, executing biochemical procedures such as: electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, and DNA extractions, etc.
- May perform advanced laboratory research activities such as: animal surgery, microscopy techniques, imaging techniques, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, and hybridizations, etc. May participate in the design of research studies.
- Compile and may analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- Perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
Supervisory Experience: N/A
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
May consider a combination of directly related experience and education. Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge. Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected].
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Institute of Genome Sciences
Job Posting: Apr 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Apr 11, 2021, 11:59:00 PM