Laboratory Research Assistant or Laboratory Research Specialist
The Department of Neural and Pain Sciences, at the University of Maryland Baltimore, School of Dentistry is looking for a Laboratory Research Assistant or Laboratory Research Specialist to join a research team looking at brain function during different types of stress-induced pain. This individual must be experienced with histological and immunocytochemical techniques and be able to function in this capacity with minimal guidance. Experience with biochemical (Western blots, ELISA) and molecular techniques is a plus. In addition, the individual will be expected to participate in experiments with awake rats and mice and assist with functional MRI studies. We are looking for a team player to enhance our studies in animal models to understand mechanisms underlying Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, wipe tests, ELISA assays, preparing solutions, media, stains, and buffers; cultures and specimens; autoradiograms and photomicrographs, executing biochemical procedures such as: electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, and DNA extractions, etc.
- May perform advanced laboratory research activities such as: animal surgery, microscopy techniques, imaging techniques, recombinant DNA techniques, protein purification, and hybridizations, etc. May participate in the design of research studies.
- Compile and may analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Assist with literature research, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- Perform administrative duties such as: training and guiding students and/or other laboratory technicians; assisting in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation; and ordering supplies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform independent project(s) and participate in the design of research studies. Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- Independently perform day to day laboratory research activities such as: general housekeeping, daily observations of animal health; collection of cultures and biological specimens for diagnostic testing and monitoring of animal health; diagnostic molecular (ELISA), bacteriological, or biological assays; breeding colonization processes; irradiation of blood products; and executing biochemical or hematopoietic procedures such as: bone marrow aspirations, complete blood count, white cell differential, electrophoresis, blotting, chromatography, PCR and DNA extractions, etc.; and may require performing psychological enrichment of certain species.
- Administer day-to-day laboratory operations including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies. Maintain proper operation of research equipment, ensuring proper operation records, cleaning, ordering of required components and explaining/resolving technical issues.
- Conduct library research and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication. Contribute to the preparation of journal articles and grant proposals. Presents research findings.
- Prepare materials for research studies, including sample collection kits and research documents.
- Assist in the training of undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral, international fellows, and/or junior technical personnel in the performance of a variety of laboratory techniques.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry, or field of study related to the research of the laboratory.Experience:
Research Assistant may consider a combination of directly related experience and education.
Research Specialist requires three (3) years of experience including two (2) years in the relevant research specialization or may consider a combination of directly related experience and education.Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Accomplishes responsibilities by applying specialized and theoretical knowledge, principles, and concepts of a professional discipline normally acquired through advanced education or specialized training.
- Resolves issues and significant matters on behalf of management by utilizing independent judgment, discretion, creativity, and analytical thinking. Contributes to development and evaluation of goals and objectives.
- Creates solutions to ensure legal and policy compliance.
- Applies entry-level knowledge, concepts, principles, and skills. Decision-making occurs within defined parameters. Supervisor defines assignments, expectations, and deadlines. Supervisor may review work for quality. Demonstrates initiative and discretion to resolve routine and non-routine matters. OR may apply in-depth, senior-level knowledge, concepts, principles, and skills. Wide latitude in decision making to interpret unclear or inadequate guidelines. Supervisor and employee collaborate to develop goals and objectives. Confers with supervisor only on controversial or far-reaching matters. Proactively resolves broad and unique matters requiring sophisticated analysis and interpretation. Acts as resource to others.
- Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws.
- Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems.
- Ability to communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently.
- Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration, Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Dentistry - Neural and Pain Sciences
Job Posting: Apr 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Apr 21, 2021, 11:59:00 PM