Under the general direction of the Director or designee, the Department Administrator performs complex and varied financial and administrative functions in support of a program or division which require a high degree of independent action and setting of priorities and procedures for accomplishing tasks.Responsibilities
- Coordinate with Director, faculty, and staff to determine financial needs, develop new fiscal year budget, and prepare written reports including rationale and supporting financial data for designated programs and projects
- Advise faculty and staff in designated programs on Human Resource policy and procedures
- Liaison with UMMS departments, to facilitate staff, facility, and finance processes
- Supervise and evaluate performance of staff accountants and other administrative staff
- Ensure all personal action activity related to hiring, firing, contracting, and funding are completed accurately and on time
- Assist in development of organizational structures for business units; determine specific staffing requirements in coordination with faculty and staff
- Prepare position descriptions, requisitions, and advertisements for all positions within programs/division; confer with department staff and human resources to assist in the selection of new employees. Conduct orientation and training sessions as appropriate for new faculty and staff
- Develop and prepare monthly management reports
- Coordinate special projects and provide assessment of fiscal and administrative operating efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Participate in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and projects; ensure that proper procedures are followed
- Administer the preparation and submission of grant proposals
- Present proposed budgets to Directors and/or Management Teams; revise and implement where applicable
- Monitor dispersal of funds to determine appropriateness and compliance of expenditures; review and forecast actual versus planned expenditures
- Work closely with funding agencies and internal departments to prepare all required documents in accordance with funding and regulatory requirements
- Maintain liaison with granting agencies and investigate potential grant projects and sources of grant funds
- Manage indirect cost time and effort reporting; complete space surveys
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management or Accounting, or equivalent experience
- 3 years of related experience, including budgeting, accounting, and administrative experience
- Demonstrated supervisory ability and the skills to communicate with individuals and groups both orally and in writing
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications and databases.