Director of High-potential Innovations Translational Program
Director of High-potential Innovations Translational Program
Job Number: 89072
Job Title: Director of High-potential Innovations Translational Program
Job Code: 4504
Dean of Research / Office of Technology Licensing: The Office of Technology Licensing (OTL) was established in 1970 to manage the intellectual property assets of Stanford University. OTL evaluates, markets, and licenses technology owned by the University. OTL's mission is to encourage effective technology transfer for the public benefit as well as generating royalty income for Stanford to benefit research and education. OTL is one of the country's most active offices in the field of technology transfer from the university to industry. Our staff, most of whom are professionals engaged directly in licensing, manages over 3,000 active dockets.
Our VPDoR Diversity Journey:
- We create a hub of innovation through the power of diversity of disciplines and people.
- We provide equitable access and opportunity to all members of the community in order to do their best work, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We listen to and value all colleagues who bring diverse perspectives to the advancement and development of a respectful community.
- We promote a culture of belonging, equity, and safety.
- We embed these values in excellence of education, research, and operation.
The OTL is launching a new High-potential Innovation Translational (“HIT”) Program to advance and support the translation of early-stage technologies at Stanford. A $10 million fund has been created within the OTL to support the HIT Program, which will offer milestone-driven funding for selected projects, and rigorous entrepreneurship training and mentorship for the project teams. The HIT Program will source, fund and de-risk technologies across all Schools and Institutes. The Program will be complementary to existing University translational initiatives, and project selection will be based on a set of factors that should increase the likelihood of successful translation as well as align with Stanford's Long Range Vision priorities.
In this role, you will:
- Develop a comprehensive multi-year strategy for the HIT Program in collaboration with the OTL Executive Team and the Office of the Vice Provost, Dean of Research.
- Provide leadership in the planning, launch, and all aspects of operations and management of the Program, including oversight of project team activities, directing administrative staff and managing an external advisory board.
- Maintain effective outreach, communication and collaboration with key University and external stakeholders, including University administration, faculty, existing translational and entrepreneurship programs at Stanford, and the investment community.
- Organize and manage an external advisory board to review and select promising projects.
- Interface with OTL licensing and contracting staff to conduct IP assessment and develop IP strategy for technologies selected into the Program.
- Manage the portfolio of translational projects and track progress and outcomes.
- Advise the Executive Director on programmatic and policy development for the OTL's translational research and entrepreneurship activities; may provide input to University leadership on relevant policies and guidelines.
Please note that due to current COVID-19 safety measures, our office is working fully remote until June 2021. Once COVID-19 safety measures are no longer applicable, this position will be based on the Stanford Redwood City campus and will be considered for an option of telecommuting, subject to satisfactory job performance.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering discipline.
- 15 years of relevant experience in positions involved in technology transfer, early-stage technology development, business development or venture capital.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of patent law and licensing agreements.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in producing professional and engaging written and oral communications.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with demonstrated success in building relationships with a diversity of stakeholders at multiple organizational levels.
- Superior organizational and influential leadership capabilities.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- MBA or advanced degree in a science or engineering discipline.
- Industry business development, startup, or venture capital experience.
- Experience supporting entrepreneurial activities in an academic setting.
- Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, use a telephone, lift, carry, push, pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely writes by hand.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 89072
Location: Dean of Research, Redwood City, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency