(Student Position) Plant Sciences Internship
Job Title :
(Student Position) Plant Sciences InternshipDepartment:
Student - SheridanDesired Start Date:
N/AMonths Worked Annually:
NAPosting Number :
20150588PJob Posting Date:
03/26/2021Initial Review Date:
04/01/2021Open Until Filled:
In collaboration with Dr. Erickson, student interns will aid in the design, installation and maintenance of perennial display beds, grape vines or vegetable production garden or other field lab plantings. The intern will be expected to choose one the projects to be the focus of their internship, and take a leadership role in its installation and maintenance.
Secondary duties may include aiding in the establishment of other projects and maintenance of existing plantings; and possibility assisting in research project set-up and data collection as needed.
$14.00 / hrReports To:
Dr. Ami Erickson, Instructor of HorticultureEducation/Qualifications:
•Good Conduct and Academic Standing with the college
•Sheridan College Student currently enrolled
•Cumulative GPA is 2.0 or greater
•Completion of at least 1 science or agriculture course; more than 1 science or agriculture class is preferred
• Experience growing and caring for plants
• Interest in plants and the environment
• Problem solving skills
• Ability to follow instructions
• Interest in learning different cultivation techniques and proper landscape equipment use
• Much of the work will be completed outdoors during variable weather conditions.
• Willingness to work in heat and cool weather is necessary
• Willingness to work in the soil and, possibly get dirty, is also necessary.
• Water, chemicals, dust, pollen, weeds and other irritants may be a factor of the work environment.
• Some lifting and carrying of medium to large scale equipment may be required.
• Hearing and eye protection will be required for some activities.
• Design a research project in collaboration with Dr. Erickson
• Consistently and reliably conduct the experiment, ensuring that plants and/or insects involved in the study are properly cared for and that accurate data is collected.
• Careful maintenance of research and field equipment
• Follow all safety protocols
• Watering, weeding, cultivating plants as needed
• Assist in other Agriculture Field lab projects