Monitor, Testing Center
Department:: Testing Center
Locations:: Skokie, IL
Posted:: Mar 25, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Part Time Staff
Position ID:: 129375
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
With support from the Testing Center Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator, the Monitor is responsible for providing professional, quality, effective and efficient customer service to all who utilize testing services at the College: community members, potential students, students, faculty, and staff. To provide this service, the Monitor executes a variety of clerical duties to ensure the Testing Center runs smoothly and testing materials are confidentially and securely maintained. Responsibilities also include administering and proctoring a variety of exams (on- and off-campus) while vigilantly maintaining a secure testing environment. The Monitor works collaboratively with academic and student affairs departments to support Oakton's mission to provide a high-quality education to the community.
Characteristics, Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer and proctor a variety of tests. Exams may include those given for placement, a particular Oakton class (online or face-to-face), tests for students attending another university, or specialty exams.
- Provide a responsive, friendly and effective point of contact for the community, potential students, students, faculty, and staff.
- Follow standard operating procedures as outlined by the Testing Coordinator.
- Maintain accurate logs of appointments and Testing Center activity. This includes the daily log of tester activity (sign-in and check-out) as well as, the logs for individual classes and faculty (tests dropped off, dates taken, and picked up.)
- Participate in continuous training opportunities to improve the Testing Center performance in the areas of efficiency, data accuracy, and customer satisfaction.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively amongst Testing Center staff members, and across both campuses to provide optimal service. Work with Testing Center staff members, and College partners to effectively seek out solutions to issues and concerns that may arise.
- Engage in providing coverage for all modes of communication: telephone, e-mail or other methods as necessary.
- Understand and utilize available resources to assist in the proctoring and monitoring of tests. Including but not limited to, electronic learning platforms, and surveillance equipment.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions
- Associate's degree or college experience where an equivalent combination of education and experience can be obtained is required.
- Previous experience in customer service and/or educational setting is required. Must be able to provide quality customer service.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and the Windows operating system.
- Ability to preserve confidential information.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
- Ability to work flexible hours at both the Skokie and Des Plaines campuses including some evening hours consistent with student needs.
General supervision is received from the Coordinator, Testing Center, and in consultation with the Assistant Coordinator, as necessary.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
SALARY: $19.46 per hour - salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.