Senior Department Assistant
Department:: Division of Business and Career Technologies
Locations:: Skokie, IL
Posted:: Mar 24, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
Position ID:: 129318
About Oakton Community College :
For over 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under supervision, provide administrative and office support services to one or more administrator/faculty members in the college. Exercise independent judgment in the use of confidential information based on established college policies and procedures.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare salary and class load information for all part-time faculty payrolls.
- Verify, calculate and process time sheets for WSAT Readers and/or casual employees when necessary.
- Prepare and process memos to the Vice President for Academic Affairs for part-time faculty stipend payments and/or salary changes.
- Process and schedule all work on an established priority basis. Equitably handle requests for services.
- Compose, type and prepare routine correspondence, reports and memoranda for administrator/faculty member as required.
- Receive and refer phone, mail or in-person inquiries and requests to appropriate functional area or division.
- Process division's part time faculty appointments. Make entries in Banner and route hiring information to Human Resources.
- As delegated by Division Office Manager, provide administrative support for special events, programs and academic department/division activities.
- Prepare updates for division and/or academic department webpages as directed.
- Assemble and maintain subject and confidential files and record.
- Organize, maintain and update subject files and records, keeping all data for administrator/faculty member current and in good order.
- Monitor budget expenditures for functional area as required.
- Review and process blue vouchers, travel expense reports for payment.
- Assume administrative responsibilities in the absence of the Division Office Manager.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or an equivalent combination of training and experience from which similar ability can be acquired is necessary.
- Two years general office experience with one year of responsible general administrative and office support services is necessary.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, retrieve and manipulate data is required.
- Intermediate level of word processing (Microsoft Word preferred) and spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred) skills are required.
- Ability to update and maintain web pages using the college platform is required.
General supervision is received from Division Office Manager. Administrative supervision is received from the Dean.
Exercise functional supervision of staff members and student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 7:15 am - 4:30 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.