ESL Placement Specialist
Department:: Testing Center
Locations:: Haverhill, MA
Posted:: Apr 6, 2021
Closes:: Apr 20, 2021 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Full-time Temporary
Position ID:: 129736
POSITION: ESL Placement Specialist: Special Programs Coordinator; Testing Services Department; Division of Student Affairs; MCCC/MTA Unit Professional Position; 37.5 hours per week; Pay grade 4. This is a temporary, Grant Funded (CARES) Position through December 31, 2021.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position will provide services both remotely and on-campus at either the Lawrence or Haverhill campuses and requires flexibility in scheduling during peak enrollment periods. This position will report directly to the Dean of Enrollment Services and will be required to perform the following:
- Work under the day to day supervision of the Coordinator of Student Assessment and close collaboration with the Recruitment and Admission, Enrollment Services and Student Success Hub Advising.
- In alignment with the student roadmap, provides direct support to ESL students who are in the early stages of enrollment pipeline.
- Works closely with Admissions to engage students in next steps for ESL Testing; obtains lists of new students and provides outreach and Academic Placement information.
- Administers diagnostic computerized placement examinations to new and returning students for ESL Placement (i.e. - sets up computerized test stations for daily in-person testing, creates test vouchers and administers remote testing through Zoom).
- Provides individualized intake assessment, holistically evaluates scores and oral communication skills, provides course placement recommendation, connects students to next steps.
- Provides explanation of testing to students; determines course recommendations based on test scores and conducts advising appointments with students for ESL course placement.
- Connects students to next steps for orientation and registration.
- The Classification Specification is available at: https://www.mass.edu/shared/classificationspecs/specsmccc/Special Programs Coordinator - HB 1112.doc
- Bachelor's in Education, Language or appropriate field of study.
- Three (3) years of experience working with English Second Language Learners.
- Experience with placement testing.
- Experience with academic advising.
- Flexibility in scheduling.
- Master's Degree in TESOL or related field strongly preferred or a certificate in TESOL.
- Banner Student Information Systems experience preferred.
- Experience working in community college and/or One-Stop Enrollment Services setting preferred.
- Bilingual or Bicultural (Spanish and English).
- Experience working with and supporting a culturally diverse, population in a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
GRADE AND SALARY: Anticipated salary range is $50,705.00 to $56,055.00 annually with complete fringe benefit package. Complete fringe benefit package including competitive health insurance, dental insurance, basic life insurance, long-term disability insurance, paid sick, vacation and personal leave, educational benefits for employee/spouse/dependents, and excellent retirement benefits. Actual salary calculated in compliance with MCCC/MTA classification system. Transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: May 1, 2021
TO APPLY: To be considered for this position you must submit a cover letter & resume online.
DEADLINE: April 20, 2021
Northern Essex Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, military service and national origin and any other protected class in its education programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statues and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act and related statutes and regulations, Affirmative Action, non-discrimination policies, and Title IX compliance/sexual harassment: Assistant Director of Human Resources, Elizabete Trelegan B-219, 978-556-3928/ [email protected] Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Prospective employees are encouraged to review the College's Annual Security Report (ASR), in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which can be found on the disclosure page of the College's website at: http://www.necc.mass.edu/clery