Financial Oversight Analyst,Sr
Job Title: Financial Oversight Analyst,Sr
Location: College of Education
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605302
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
The Center for Science Teaching and Learning (CTL) is seeking a full-time, benefits eligible Financial Oversight Analyst position. The Center for Science Teaching and Learning is part of the College of Education and prepares and supports early career science and mathematics teachers and leaders. CSTL also partners with faculty, educators, and the community to provide professional learning and development, collaborative grant development, community programs, educational research, and evaluation and assessment that contribute to high quality STEM education.
The position will involve a variety of financial tasks and require being a liaison for the CSTL with NAU’s service teams and with financial management within the College of Education. Weekly tasks will depend on the demands of various externally funded projects as well as academic financial needs. The position will require management and analysis of the unit’s operational data, understanding of university finances via the use of university tools to provide accurate and timely budget information on department goals, and compliance with university operations concerning budgetary goals and expectations.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
- Serve as a liaison with NAU’s finance service team to initiate and monitor requisitions.
- Gather, analyze, and prepare customized reports on budgets.
- Gathers, analyzes, and models various scenarios related to department expense tracking to make recommendations or decisions to unit management.
- Collaborate with Directors on budget management, including changes in payroll.
- Assist with setting up budgets for new externally funded projects and provide on-going support and administration for financial transactions, including monitoring consultant or subaward payments, purchases, and participant support allowances.
- Prepare documents for payment of invoices received; monitor and troubleshoot payments; prepare deposit transmittals and maintain internal records of payments received.
- Serve as a financial liaison with NAU Foundation.
- Create and/or maintain tracking spreadsheets for various projects, including preparation of monthly budget summaries.
- Review bills for accuracy, resolve issues if needed (e.g., Copying, Telecom Billing, etc.).
- Produces and presents reports and communications for key stakeholders with recommendations for change.
- Understands and applies knowledge of appropriate handling of department budget information.
- Performs research and analysis to provide administration with financial data and recommendations.
- Compares actual financial data to plans, forecasts and budgets, evaluating areas of divergence.
- Creates forecasts and models of various future financial scenarios, guiding university planning decisions.
- Assesses new programs by comparing results with original proposals, ultimately evaluating their impact on university financial performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- 3-5 years of accounting or finance experience.
- Master's degree in business finance, accounting, or related field.
- Experience working in higher education or non-profit finance/accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of financial oversight and operations tools, procedures, processes, policies, and concept; such as payroll management systems and budget analysis projects, as well as such as expense tracking, and trend analysis.
- Knowledge of financial reporting in higher education and university budgeting practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Skill in financial modeling.
- Preferred skills and knowledge of NAU’s Peoplesoft and Enterprise financial systems.
- Prepares detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Balances competing priorities and re quests
- Demonstrates problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Listens actively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Experience in creating and managing budgets
- Ability to work independently with direction / collaboration from Director and project leads
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $54,779 - $62,000; Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
April 20, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.