Assistant Director, Alumni Careers and Professional Development
Alumni & DevelopmentDepartment Website Link:Location:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Reporting to the Director, Alumni Careers and Professional Development, the Assistant Director will create and implement sustainable measures to help support and grow the Wildcat Mentor Society and be part of the larger alumni and constituent engagement team. This individual will manage two major program areas to provide relevant mentoring opportunities, networking, engagement and career readiness to alumni and current University of Arizona students (via in-person and digital platforms), focusing on the Wildcat Mentor Society and the Bear Down Network.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more! The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
WildcatMentor Society (WMS)
- Focus onmentoring programs for target audiences such as current students and recentalumni as well as experienced alumni.
- Support andretain mentors and mentees through research-based policies and procedures
- Regularlycommunicate with mentors and mentees to keep them connected and engaged withmeetings using social media, the Bear Down Network and email.
- Work withcollege partners and other campus entities to recruit potential mentees andmentors and explore college specific populations, where appropriate.
- Create andoversee scalable mentoring programs for colleges and departments on campus.
- Work withthe alumni and constituent engagement team to plan and organize signature andnetworking events (3-4 per year) including: Welcome Event, End of YearCelebration, Mid-Semester Networking/Career Development).
- Plan andfacilitate mentor and mentee training(s) throughout the year.
- Develop andexecute a campus-wide training module to prepare mentors and mentees forsuccessful mentoring experiences.
- Assist indeveloping and executing a marketing plan for alumni mentoring programs inWildcat Mentor Society and Bear Down Network.
- Managementor applications, acceptances and mentor profiles on the website.
- Managementee applications, conduct mentee interviews and acceptances.
- Conductpairing process for mentors and mentees.
- Ensure datais tracked and coded correctly in Lynx for alumni and engagement tracking.
- Manage andoversee the WMS group and subgroups on the Bear Down Network.
- Work withUADP development teams to facilitate mentor giving and annual gifts.
BearDown Network (BDN)
- Work withthe Director to implement a content engagement strategy to increase mentoringengagements in the alumni and student communities, including the oversight ofstudent ambassadors to promote the Bear Down Network among colleges and supportunits.
- Manage andmarket mentoring options for students and alumni on the BDN including WMS,Making Connections, and Cat Chats.
- Create andshare digital content for BDN and WMS mentorship groups and resources.
- Work withstudent affairs, Dean of Students and college units and centers to buildrelationships and opportunities for collaboration, with the goal of expandingreach of mentorship programs.
- Assist inpresentations to campus units and college partners to promote alumni careerdevelopment and alumni mentorships.
- Executeinitiatives to build a pipeline for current students and recent graduatesincluding communication, volunteer recruitment, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Coordinatewith UADP Marketing & Communications team to create and share digitalcontent on UAAA social media and traditional media platforms about theprograms.
- Work withthe Director to create assessments and program evaluation metrics for allprogram areas including surveys and participant data for the WMS, BDN andAlumni Career Lab.
- Supportefforts to develop career programming, including local and regional networkingand professional development events, career fairs, and online careerdevelopment events.
- Work withthe communications and marketing team to implement a comprehensive electronicstrategy of mentoring communication and engagement.
- Developcontent with the Director for monthly e-newsletter or other communications forthe mentoring program (including event summaries, mentorship spotlights andmore) as well as the Alumni Career Lab.
- Work withchapter volunteers and UADP staff to research and identify recent/young alumnito cultivate relationships and mentoring engagement.
- Staff tableand share information at relevant campus and community events.
- Assist withthe stewardship and cultivation of alumni volunteers and donors.
- Maintainupdated alumni records in Lynx. Ensure that alumni contact and careerinformation from events is entered into Lynx for WMS and BDN.
- Performother tasks as assigned.
Knowledge Skills andAbilities:
- Solidcommunication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with alllevels of participants in the program, verbally and in writing.
- Ability touse sound judgement in responding to issues and concerns.
- Ability touse discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability towork independently and demonstrated ability to work with diverse constituentsand audiences.
- High degreeof comfort with technology.
- Greatattention to detail and strong organization skills.
- High degreeof professionalism and a customer-service orientation; able to interactprofessionally and responsively with alumni and students.
- Understanding of the mission of the UADP and how this position contributes to fulfilling it.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher plus 3 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Ability to use of social media as a tool to engage and market services/programs to students, alumni, faculty/staff and employers.
- Experience working with virtual mentoring programs.
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
University AdvancementBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
8Career Stream and Level:
Alumni RelationsJob Function:
University AdvancementType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
5/3/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
UADP Talent Acquisition
4/5/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.