Assistant Professor in Computer Science 3 -Faculty of Science– UPEI Cairo Campus
The Universities of Canada in Egypt – Program of Computer Science and Mathematics
Program Position Vacancies
The Universities of Canada in Egypt (UofCanada) is a new premier institution of higher learning situated in the heart of the New Egyptian Administrative Capital outside Cairo. UofCanada is created via recent Presidential and Parliamentary decrees and is the 1st international branch campus hosting the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) & Ryerson University in Egypt. UPEI & Ryerson are recognized as a leading and innovative center of excellence in learning, teaching, and scholarship in Canada.
The Universities of Canada in Egypt (UofCanada) Program of Computer Science and Mathematics, UPEI Cairo Campus, invites applications at the rank of Assistant Professor or Higher for the following full-time faculty position starting September 2021:
Computer Science and Mathematics
Primary areas of teaching will be:
- Information Systems
- Professional Communication and Practice for Computer Scientists
- Computer Programming Language Practices
Roles and Responsibilities:
The faculty member conducts classes following the original campus’s outlines for each course. The assessment criteria also follow the original campus’s criteria. Teaching at UofCanada is conducted over the period of three semesters Fall, Winter, and Summer.
Teaching and learning:
- To transfer knowledge to students and teaching assistants, including practical skills, methods, and techniques.
- To ensure that the teaching content and delivery methods are in accordance with UPEI program guidelines and respond to issues relating to staff and student needs.
- To encourage the development of innovative approaches to course delivery and ensure that teaching design and delivery comply with the quality and educational standards and regulations of the department.
- To challenge thinking, foster debate, and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- To supervise student projects and research, as well as mentor their academic progress.
- To set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide feedback to students.
Research and Scholarly Endeavors
- To lead and coordinate research activity in the subject, including determining relevant research objectives, leading research and collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions or other bodies, and preparing and submitting proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g., funding and accreditation purposes.
- To carry out independent research and write or contribute to publications or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media.
- To seek practical application of research findings in line with the vision of the university.
- To chair and contribute to the committee’s work and participate in school/department decision-making and governance.
- To promote and market the work of the university and department both nationally and internationally.
- To be responsible for dealing with referred issues for students within their own educational programs.
- To act as a line manager, supervising the work of others, for example, in research teams & projects.
- To mentor, appraise, and advise staff on personal and career development plans.
- To foster innovation and inter-disciplinary team working.
Minimum Requirements for candidates:
- A PhD. degree in Computer Science or a closely related field
- 7 years of total teaching experience
- At least 5 published papers/journals in a related field to Computer Science.
- Previous teaching experience with the required courses or research in closely related areas
- Notable experience in teaching and working with different programming language types (compiled, scripting, shell script, …etc.)
- Proficiency in communication in English
- Supervision of projects that involve engagement of undergraduate students
- Teaching Computer Science for non-computer science students
Preferred Requirements for candidates:
- Industrial experience besides academia
- Teaching in universities with remarkable student diversity
Formal applicants for the available positions should send a cover letter, including CV, the names and contacts of three references, teaching philosophy, and a letter of intent to the following address:
Please put the code 105S-CS in the Subject accompanied by the title of the position.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.