Administrative Aide - Chemistry (143556)
Department of Chemistry
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Administrative Aide will coordinate and manage operations of the Inorganic, Materials and Physical (IMP) areas of the Department of Chemistry. Under area head direction, this position will oversee daily administrative and academic functions with discretion and independent judgement.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Primary contact for the IMP Office.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations, providing authoritative answers and information based on independent judgement. Consult with Area Heads, Department Head, on high-level administrative matters as needed.
- Manage area communications and implement area procedures in accordance with Department/School/College/Campus policies.
- Assists administrators and Area Heads with special projects.
- Manage Graduate Recruiting efforts for IMP and Analytical Chemistry areas.
- Coordinate prospective student visits, maintaining detailed records for each prospect.
- Develop and update recruitment materials.
- Manage inquiries and communication with prospective students regarding application status, travel details, etc.
- Arrange complex itineraries for each visitor (50-75 over three weekends) which includes individual meetings with faculty, tours, meals and overview sessions.
- Arrange group meals, including location and menu selection.
- Supervise Office Support staff which includes developing job descriptions, hiring, training, scheduling, approving time sheets and time-off requests, conducting annual performance reviews and arranging for position upgrades as appropriate.
- Work directly with the Area Heads and Associate Director for Administration regarding confidential personnel matters.
- Provide support and guidance for the Analytical area administrative office as needed.
- Oversee graduate student academic progress based on departmental and area PhD degree requirements for Literature Seminars, Preliminary Exams, Original Research Proposals and Final Defense.
- Coordinate deadlines/guidelines with area heads, manage scheduling and advertising, maintain confidential student records and ensure completion of required documents in collaboration with the Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Determine course offerings each semester in consultation with area heads.
- Oversee textbook orders, course syllabi, final exam space requirements, timetables, TA assignments and faculty teaching assignments.
- Responsible for fiscal management of area’s operating budget.
- Closely monitor all expenditure levels using area financial statements.
- Includes oversight of donor-funded student award programs.
- Authorize and initiate T-Card and P-Card purchases on behalf of the area office, faculty, and graduate students.
- Oversee academic and research travel reimbursements for graduate students, postdocs, and faculty.
- Manage graduate recruiting budget.
- Ensure consistent annual expenditure levels based on available funds.
- Adhere to department and campus limits on meals/receptions and travel.
- Oversee reimbursements for expenses associated with these visits.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Any one or any combination totaling five (5) years (60 months) from the following categories:
A. college course work in business, finance, accounting or a related field:
B. progressively more responsible general or specialized office experience which included aspects of supervising staff or a job function, organizing, and performing duties that lead to knowledge of generally accepted office principles
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Thorough knowledge of University operational procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of PC-based tools including Word, Excel and database applications.
- Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, cultural and linguistic differences.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion. Preferred: Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to subordinates, encouraging teamwork and collaboration for an optimal work environment.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Administrative Aide position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Applications must be received by April 20, 2021. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three professional references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Leslie Chenoweth, [email protected]. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Liberal Arts and Sciences Category:3-Administrative Support Title:Administrative Aide - Chemistry (143556) Open Date:04/06/2021 Close Date:04/20/2021 Organization Name:Chemistry