Office Support Specialist (144683)
Office Support Specialist
Department - To be determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Employees in positions allocated to this level of the series work under direction in support of an office or organization. They perform a wide variety of office support tasks, which require the use of judgment and initiative and the ability to operate computer systems, using word processing, database and software packages. Knowledge of the organization, programs, practices and procedures of the unit is central to the performance of the duties.
A(n) Office Support Specialist typically -
- screens calls and visitors for a department/unit/; determines needs and personally handles routine inquiries, requests, or problems;
- reviews designated member(s) of the unit staff incoming mail, responding to routine items independently and distributing remainder to the designated member(s) of the unit staff;
- keyboards confidential and/or technical material; transcribes and/or records verbatim material; composes correspondence and reports requiring knowledge of the activities of the designated member(s) of the unit staff and/or the procedures of the unit;
- maintains a calendar of operating or administrative commitments and notifies the designated member(s) of the unit staff and/or affected staff of deadlines;
- coordinates unit operational projects, meetings, conferences, and/or travel arrangements and monitors and expedites progress;
- establishes, modifies, and/or supervises the maintenance of comprehensive file and record systems for a large and complex unit, including confidential materials;
- makes cost estimates and comparisons for goods and services; independently makes general supply purchases and researches products, obtains quotes and makes purchasing recommendations for higher cost items;
- processes financial forms/transactions for the department and maintains an awareness of the budget for which the designated member(s) of the unit staff is responsible and participates in day-to-day fiscal decisions;
- coordinates website updates for the unit and/or update social media accounts;
- accompanies and/or attends meetings with the designated member(s) of the unit staff, participating as requested;
- compiles, summarizes, organizes, and distributes information from a variety of sources for use in reports, brochures and publications, such as collecting and writing material for print or electronic newsletters;
- maintains or assists in the maintenance of inventory records;
- plans, organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of the unit's administrative office support staff and participates in their selection, training, supervision, and evaluation;
- gathers, provides, and interprets information through the identification and selection of appropriate sources; initiates contacts to clarify subjective information;
- coordinates and/or administers test proctoring including organizing delivery of test, scheduling students and/or test proctors, scheduling rooms and returning completed exams to instructors;
- performs duties listed in lower level of this classification series;
- performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.
- Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:
A. work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems
B.college or university course work in any curriculum
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Office Support Specialist position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service position. The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $18.870 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an Exam Request form for Office Support Specialist. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
Copy Posting From Word Document
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illinois Human Resources Operations Category:3-Administrative Support Title:Office Support Specialist (144683) Open Date:04/05/2021 Close Date:04/12/2021 Organization Name:Illinois Human Resources Operations