Physical Science Technical Assistant - General Chemistry (144681)
Physical Science Technical Assistant
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Employees at this level assist in the planning, design, development, and implementation of scientific procedures, equipment, or materials related to research or instructional projects undertaken in the physical sciences. They work under direction from a designated supervisor.
A(n) Physical Science Technical Assistant typically -
- assists in the development of new methodologies and adapts new procedures to scientific problems.
- assists in the design, development, construction, and demonstration of specialized equipment or materials.
- performs or is responsible for the performance of complex laboratory tests or experiments in the physical sciences.
- classifies or catalogs specimens and other materials.
- provides sketches or simple drawings used in the construction of new equipment.
- secures, records, and tabulates data.
- manages the laboratory’s stock of equipment, supplies, and other materials, recommending the purchase of items to a superior and requisitioning approved items.
- maintains, adjusts, or repairs laboratory equipment or is responsible for the performance of these duties.
- maintains or supervises the maintenance of the laboratory’s files, collections, or reference library.
- trains and supervises laboratory workers of lower rank.
- participates in staff conferences or planning sessions.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent
A.four years of experience in physical science laboratory techniques and/or field work (specific physical science to be determined by the requirements of the position to be filled)
B.Bachelor’s degree with a major in the physical science required by the position to be filled
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Physical Science Technical Assistant position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service position. The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $16.85 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an Exam Request form for Physical Science Technical Assistant. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:General Chemistry Category:8-Technical Title:Physical Science Technical Assistant - General Chemistry (144681) Open Date:04/05/2021 Close Date:04/12/2021 Organization Name:General Chemistry