ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR - FUQUA SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Admissions Counselor provides administrative support, project management and coordination of admissions functions related primarily to the Daytime program. This position works closely with admissions officers to support their efforts in counseling prospects/applicants, executing on outreach and yield strategies, assisting with in-person and virtual events, and helping with data analysis to guide initiatives. The Admissions Counselor helps across the broader Admissions team as needed.
• Assist the Daytime team in the implementation of admissions processes and practices.
• Manage the admissions email inbox, fielding all general inquiries and acting as the primary counselor to support all Daytime inquiries and share with Admissions Advisors as needed for follow up.
• Participate in rotational Officer of the Day role for the Admissions Office and serve as the staff lead for daily information sessions for prospective MBA candidates.
• Read and evaluate applications for admission and present to the admissions committee for consideration. Interview candidates for admission as needed.
• Work closely with the Associate Director of Admissions on yield initiatives, providing project management and data analysis for specific initiatives.
• Conduct Daytime MBA virtual information sessions.
• Assist the Associate Director of Admissions with waitlist events and strategy. Serve as a primary point of contact for applicants on the Daytime MBA waitlist.
• Support on-campus events such as Diversity Weekends, Admitted Student Weekends, and Open Houses. Travel occasionally to support off-campus events as needed.
• Conduct benchmarking of competing business schools to share with Admissions staff and to generate new ideas for outreach and recruitment across all programs.
• Assist all staff with connecting prospective students with current students, clubs, and resources for the purposes of learning more about Fuqua.
• Develop relationships with applicants, students, and alumni and provide exceptional customer service.
• Serve as department liaison for with other Fuqua departments to arrange guest speakers for monthly staff meetings.
• Occasional travel in local area to support evening and weekend events as needed.
• Provide support to all of our programs (Daytime, EMBA, MQM, MMS) and Admissions Officers, and conduct additional duties as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
Undergraduate degree strongly preferred. Work generally requires a knowledge and understanding of college experience and student life obtained through the attainment of a bachelor's degree.
• Admissions, counseling, or corporate recruiting experience highly desirable.
• Strong communication (written and verbal), presentation, and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Detail oriented, self-motivated, and demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be very comfortable in a highly computerized environment. Proficiency with CRM systems, virtual conferencing programs (Zoom and WebEx), PowerPoint, and Excel required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.