ACADEMIC WEB DEVELOPER/DESIGNER - FUQUA SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The Academic Web Developer/Designer (IT Analyst, level C) is responsible for development, continuing improvement and support of custom web sites. The position specializes in developing custom web environments for Fuqua faculty and administration. These include academic area sites, conference sites, CMO survey site, individual faculty sites, and project sites. This requires a comprehensive approach that emphasizes usability, functionality and information architecture. This position will have a strong focus on user experience while working closely with cross-functional teams. This role also manages the content management sites (WordPress) both supporting and educating the content managers. Reporting to the Manager of Application Development & Integration Services, the Academic Web Developer/Designer is a member of a team of experienced technology professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement interactive solutions for business needs driven by issues and problems.
- Collect site analytics, conduct focus groups, interview users and perform user testing. Analyze the data gathered to inform design decisions and meet customer’s goals.
- Act as a liaison for other team members with regards to web design.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with designated content owners across the school.
- Provide training and support to content owners in use of Fuqua’s CMS environments (WordPress and Drupal).
- Document all work efforts in relation to customer requests, change requests, maintenance activities, and others as identified.
- Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein and as assigned by Manager.
Work requires a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 3 years of experience in designing and developing interactive websites and other interactive applications
- Work requires three years of progressive programming experience, which includes experience as a member of a development team implementing a major system
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills are essential
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Proven track record coordinating multiple projects and prioritizing to meet deadlines in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Must be a self-starter who requires minimal supervision
- Experience working in an academic environment preferred
- Ability to create easy-to-use and attractive user interfaces and websites
- Requirement's analysis, technical specification, and design
- Expertise with cross-browser compatibility
- Expertise with HTML, CSS
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with responsive design
- Demonstrated experience using analytics to manage a website and make recommendations for performance improvement
- Knowledge of best practices in information architecture and usability
- Experience with SEO best practice
- Experience with Drupal
- Expertise with visual design tools (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with Accessibility Testing
- Experience with scripting languages (PHP, Python, JSP)
- Experience with lead generation campaigns
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.