ACADEMIC ASSISTANT - FUQUA SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
This position provides administrative support of a complex and confidential nature for a group of faculty members with their teaching and research activities. Instructional support includes teaching in the Daytime, Cross Continent, Global Executive and Weekend Executive MBA programs, GATE (Global Academic Travel Experience), the Master of Management Studies (MMS) program, the Master of Quantitative Management (MQM)and the PhD program. Fuqua faculty members travel frequently for global programs, conduct research, host research seminars, and train and mentor PhD students. The staff assistant should be comfortable working both independently and as an integral part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
Instructional Support (20%)
· Monitor and verify accuracy of faculty course websites on Canvas platform; post announcements and upload materials/assignments for students.
· Edit and update PowerPoint slides for class handouts and ensure that they are copied and ready to distribute on time.
· Prepare information for faculty on students in their classes: print student resumes.
· Create team rosters with student photos.
· Generate seating charts.
· Coordinate with Fuqua Multimedia on recording of class sessions.
· Scan class assignments and exams to be returned to students electronically.
· Respond to student questions/email, redirecting to faculty if necessary.
· Assist with exam process, including proctoring exams, administering early or late exams.
· Assist with grading: verify grading accuracy and handle submitting grades for multiple faculty members. Updating complex grading spreadsheets (Excel) for faculty members multiple times a semester. Entering final course grades in Duke Hub.
· Download and print assignments and exams from both Canvas and EMBA course platforms.
· Website management: Maintain course websites on Canvas platform for faculty; post announcements and upload materials/assignments for students.
· Make arrangements (flight, accommodations, parking, etc.) for class guest speakers.
· Use 25Live arrange for space for student review sessions and student graders.
· Manage student assistant help with sorting assignments and returning to student lockers.
Research/General Support (40%)
· Proofread a wide variety of documents for multiple faculty members including, papers, course syllabi, course materials, book chapters, letters, etc. Check for grammatical accuracy and completeness. Attention to detail is critical.
· Type papers; create tables/charts; check citations for format consistency with various journal formatting requirements.
· Submit online journal manuscripts on behalf of faculty.
· Locate and download online journal articles and/or news media articles.
· Serve as liaison for outside constituents and Duke related contacts for professors. Meet and direct visitors.
· Makef light/hotel/car rental reservations for faculty when they travel.
· Use Duke WebEx system to arrange audio and video conference meetings.
· Register faculty for professional conferences.
· For faculty recruiting organize and maintain specific applicant files. Download applicant materials from Academic Jobs online system. Contact applicants to set up visit dates and make appointments; make travel arrangements, process reimbursements.
· For PhD recruiting: organize applicant files, set up visit dates and make appointments, travel arrangements, process reimbursements.
· Assist PhD students with preparation of recommendation letters for job search, uploading letters to multiple school websites on behalf of faculty.
· Renew subscriptions, association memberships. Pick up faculty mail; maintain office files and order office supplies using [email protected] online system. Reserve space for ad hoc faculty meetings.
· Ensure confidentiality of student exams/assignments, and letters of recommendation.
· Approve timecards for students (MBA & PhD) working for assigned faculty.
· Technology– keep up to date on printer functions. Assist faculty with printer/copier problems.
Conference/Event Planning: (20%)
· Coordinate arrangements for area seminar series including contact with speakers to plan travel and hotel arrangements, securing speaker’s research paper for distribution to all area faculty. Entering seminar information into online seminar system. Arranging appointments for speakers with Fuqua faculty and PhD students.
· Schedule and coordinate arrangements for other faculty hosted conferences/events. Oversee and coordinate meeting room reservations, audio visual, and equipment requests. Select menu and make hotel arrangements; serve as liaison to hotel, car service, caterers, guests and speakers.
· Reconciliation of expenses and reimbursement (online) for out-of-pocket expenses for faculty, seminar speakers, visiting professors, faculty candidates, PhD candidates and conference participants.
· Ensure that seminar and conference expenses stay within budget.
· Use SAP data to provide reports on expenses (seminar, conference, recruiting, FABS,experimental subjects) as requested.
· Attend and participate in staff meetings and technology training sessions offered by Fuqua Tech Support, Duke IT, and Duke Financial Services.
Undergraduate degree strongly preferred. Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
· Work typically requires 3 years of related administrative experience.
· Comfort working in a highly computerized environment including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, internet research and database management.
· Working knowledge of SAP
· Excellent interpersonal skills and proficiency in business communication, both written and oral to effectively represent Fuqua faculty.
· Excellent organizational skills and impeccable attention to de tail and follow-through.
Ability to multi-task and prioritize activities according to importance and urgency, requiring flexibility to adapt to changes driven by faculty or student needs.
· Professional service skills to support faculty, students, and colleagues.
· High level writing and editing skills.
· Enthusiasm, friendliness, resourcefulness, and ability to be proactive.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.