SECURITY AMBASSADOR, NASHER MUSEUM OF ART
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Security Ambassador– part time/weekend position (Thursday-Saturday)
Perform a variety of duties associated with patrolling and providing customer service in assigned areas at the Nasher Museum of Art. This position reports to the Nasher’s Facility Manager with dotted line reporting to the Manger of Protection Services.
- Assist Manager of Protection Services by providing on-site supervision to part-time and student employees to support security and customer service related functions.
- Remain alert at all times and frequently circulate through scheduled posts to deter acts for vandalism, theft, or negligence and ensure the safety of visitors.
- Report all suspicious conditions or persons; provide description of violators of Museum and University polices, report accidents, injuries, and/or hazardous conditions immediately.
- Assist Nasher security in handling fire/life safety protocols, including medical incidents or emergency situations.
- Assist with opening and closing procedures.
- Provide information and assistance to students, staff and the general public.
- Work special and after-hours events as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly with enthusiasm and interest in the Nasher Museum of Art.
- Strong desire to interact with the public and assist guests from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient, and respectful at all times.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly speak and understand the English language (bi-lingual a plus).
- Observant with the ability to exercise initiative and judgement in performing duties.
Work requires communication and comprehension skills normally acquired through a high school education.
Minimum of 2 years related experience and/or training in a customer service oriented field. Previous security experience in a public environment preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.