MAINT MECHANIC, BCF
Perform journeyman level maintenance and repair of Biological Containment Facilities (BCF) buildings and equipment to provide operational support to scientific research, DLAR operations, and administrative spaces.
- Perform journeyman level maintenance and repair of Biological Containment Facilities (BCF) plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and physical facilities as required; report situations requiring emergency and/or immediate action to the appropriate personnel.
- Troubleshoot various systems including plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, and biohazard monitoring systems to determine source of problem; plan and proceed with repair of systems to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Conduct regular inspections of designated facilities and equipment; participate in image rounds if applicable; set up and maintain ongoing communication efforts with customers to ensure appropriate and timely response to repair and maintenance needs.
- Conduct scheduled preventive maintenance to designated BCF buildings and equipment; make adjustments to equipment and controls to ensure operations are in compliance with specifications and/or standards.
- Perform assigned duties pertaining to the testing of biohazard systems and/or equipment to ensure compliance with specifications and/or standards.
- Install, maintain, and make major repairs to electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the duties described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
*Entry into position will be using the equivalent of JF22 salary level 09. Employees within this salary range will not receive a promotional increase until successful completion of the one-year training requirements. Salary will then be reviewed based on experience and internal equity.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires an educational background normally equivalent to a high school education with course work in skilled crafts or trades.
Work requires a broad-based working knowledge of the maintenance and repair of building systems normally acquired through 4 years of building maintenance experience related to HVAC and/or electrical systems; prefer state licensed Electrician or HVAC mechanic but related experience may be acceptable in lieu of license OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Work will include training to enter and work in restricted areas and controlled environments; specialized training in maintaining controlled environments and biohazard safety systems also provided. Successful completion of the following department funded training is required (within one year of hire) in order to continue employment in this classification: 40 hours of NIH courses, HEPA filtration testing and certification, and Biological Safety Cabinet testing and certification.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.