MAINT SPECIALIST, MC - FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST
Perform complex technical tasks associated with the installation, maintenance and repair of food service equipment and systems as assigned. This position may be assigned to a trades shop or specialty area/location. This is a generic description of duties for positions focusing on the maintenance and repair of food service equipment or locations, such as dishwashers, pressure washers, warmers, griddles, ovens, steamers, fryers, coolers, and freezers.
- Perform specialized technical tasks in the troubleshooting and repair of food service equipment and systems including dishwashers, pressure washers, warmers, griddles, ovens, steamers, fryers, coolers, and freezers by interpreting blueprints, manufacturer specifications, and written/verbal instructions. Systems include natural gas as well as electrically connected.
- Conduct periodic inspections of designated facilities, equipment, and systems; perform preventive maintenance on dishwashers, pressure washers, warmers, griddles, ovens, steamers, fryers, coolers, and freezers as assigned on a regular basis and if applicable create preventative maintenance tasks on equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Consult with equipment manufacturer for technical assistance; contact manufacturer for warranty service or service beyond warranty if circumstances dictate.
- Research Manufacture sites, equipment manuals and online resources to obtain required replacement parts. Work with venders to acquire pricing and complete purchase requisitions for parts and materials.
- Maintain the assigned Kitchen Areas including electrical, lighting, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- Coordination and Management of outside venders to make necessary repairs and complete routine maintenance on Kitchen Equipment and associated equipment such as Kitchen Hoods and exhaust systems.
- Advise management of general condition of equipment and systems and any unusual problems or concerns that may arise; make recommendations for improvements and upgrades for budget planning; compile and present data to support recommendations.
- Maintain appropriate documentation and maintenance/repair records to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and codes.
- Provide technical assistance, instruction, and consultation to staff members for the resolution of special problems.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Work requires an educational background normally equivalent to a high school education with course work in skilled crafts.
- State of NC contractor's license in a specific trade may be required or preferred.
- Associate degree in Facility Maintenance, Electrical or Mechanical is desirable.
- Minimum of four years’ maintenance and repair experience related to food service equipment or four years of trades experience with at least one-year related experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Valid N.C. Driver's license is required.
- Strong Customer Service Skills, ability to work well with others in a diverse setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, managers, and administration.
- Profound knowledge of how various types of kitchen and refrigeration equipment work
- Strong ability to read and comprehend wiring diagrams and to follow manuals on operation and installation to successful tasks
- Exceptional ability to work independently without direct supervision and take responsibility for the repair of assigned equipment
- Strong ability to prioritize assigned tasks for increased job delivery
- Ability to work in a team setting with other maintenance workers and also with staff members of other departments and assist as needed to make necessary repairs to get equipment operational as quickly as possible.
- Willing to work after-hours, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- Computer skills such as online search, Microsoft word, excel and outlook are required.
- Ability to use a smart phone and computer maintenance programs to complete Preventative and Corrective Maintenance on a CMMS system.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.