Graduate Student Services Coordinator
Graduate Student Services CoordinatorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$43,000- $44,628Work Schedule:
Monday-Friday; 8:00am- 5:00pmJob Location:
College of DesignAbout the Department:
The College of Design prepares designers who, in the broadest sense, shape the world.
Design education is more than an attempt to teach a set of technical skills. The environment – including the spaces in which people live and work, the products they consume, and the messages they receive – has a powerful impact on how humans function in a society. Good design requires attention and sensitivity to social, economic, political, cultural and behavioral issues. The aim of all curricula in the College of Design is to develop the designer’s perception, knowledge, skills and problem-solving abilities.
The College of Design offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate study in architecture, art + design, graphic design, industrial design and graduate studies in landscape architecture, through several degree programs, including the Ph.D. in Design. The college employs a selective admissions process that ensures a highly motivated and diverse design community. As a result, entering design students consistently rank at the top of academic achievement at the University, and their graduation rate is the highest at NC State.
This position is situated within the main administrative management division within the College of Design. Student Services provides services for all levels of students, from undergraduate through graduate programs.Essential Job Duties:
- Graduate Student Services Coordinator will manage processes and procedures for Ph.D. program and five masters-level graduate programs.
- Serve as primary contact for written and verbal communications related to these programs. Responsible for graduate admissions process, which includes review of applications, extract and summarize key information to identify qualified and/or deficient applicants for consideration, coordinate faculty review of applications, communicate with applicants through the process and notify The Graduate School of admission decisions. Initiate and implement specific departmental programs for prospective graduate student visitations and accreditation projects.
- Identify and advise faculty of graduate students’ eligibility for teaching and research assistantships; assign and monitor Graduate Student Support Plan appointments, serve on university and internal student affairs related committees. Maintain and monitor graduate student academic files. Provide effective academic policy and procedure advising.
- Research and develop multi-faceted reports which impact admissions, retention, graduation and accreditation efforts. Actively identify and resolve issues that impact student enrollment and academic performance (i.e. advising, academic progress, plan of work, scheduling of oral exams, graduation clearance, etc.)
- Work as a team with College Scheduling Officer, Undergraduate Student Services Specialist and Academic Advisor in the delivery of services to 800+ students, faculty and the public. Collaborate with internal department heads, directors of graduate programs, and associate dean in the delivery of student and academic services.
- Serve as college liaison to the NCSU Graduate School. Participate in the College of Design as an active team member.
- Develop and maintain a calendar with associated tasks list of recurring events/milestones for the Graduate Student Services Department year.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills with close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with strong organizational and analytic problem solving capabilities under the pressure of multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to interpret, effectively communicate and apply policies and procedures ensuring confidentiality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)or similar package
- Experience in an academic environment
- 3+ years experience in graduate and/or undergraduate student services
- Familiarity with University systems (SIS, GARS, Apply Yourself)
- Undergraduate degree in a design related and/or student services field
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
03/30/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
04/09/2021Notice to Applicants:
Please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history listed on your resume.Special Instructions:
- In addition to your application please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for at least three professional references.
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Student Services SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $83,866Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
120101 - College of DesignAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.