PG190889EPInternal Recruitment :
Research AssistantAnticipated Hiring Range:
$50,000-$65,000 (Commensurate with education and experience)Work Schedule:
Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm; hours may vary depending on business needsJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
METRIC Mass Spectrometry Platform TechnologyAbout the Department:
The Molecular Education, Technology and Research Innovation Center (METRIC) provides NC State researchers and University partners with world-class state-of-the-art measurement science facilities across four buildings throughout campus, encompassing three key molecular characterization technologies including mass spectrometry, magnetic resonance (NMR and EPR), and X-Ray Crystallography (small molecule and macromolecular).
In addition to ample operations, meeting, conference, and storage space, the main sample preparation laboratory is equipped with sample analysis and preparation instrumentation, data analysis hardware and software, and a cutting edge LMD system with live-cell imaging capability, Leica LMD 7000, Leica CM 1950 Cryostat, laminar flow hoods, Genogrinder, Vortexers, Thermo centrifuges, and Nanopure water purification systems.
METRIC is primarily located in Dabney Hall and Polk Hall, with satellite facilities in the Molecular Toxicology Building and Partners III on Centennial Campus.Essential Job Duties:
- The Research Assistant will help conduct experiments with collaborators; this will include high resolution accurate mass measurements; ICP-MS methods and analysis for metals; the development of new methods for extraction, separations, mass spectrometry data acquisition and data analysis for metabolomics, proteomics, and lipidomics; assist in the development of Standard Operating Procedures and workflows; routine maintenance and instrument calibration.
- Moreover, a successful candidate will be the METRIC laboratory safety manager or the QC and instrument company liaison for repairs, depending on background and experience. Other responsibilities as needed as we fully expect the position to evolve over time.
- This is a strategic area for the Molecular Education, Technology, and Research Innovation Center (METRIC) at NC State University.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant post-Baccalaureate degree, or relevant Bachelor’s degree plus 3 or more years of independent/closely related research experience, or substantive relevant independent experience and education.
- Experience in sample preparation in the area of -OMICS across diverse sample types, operation of advanced high-resolution accurate mass (HRAM) mass spectrometry platforms, tandem MS, and quantification approaches, quality assurance/quality control.
- Effective experimental design, presentation skills, data analysis, and writing are also essential.
- Ability to work effectively with collaborators, ability to carefully and effectively carry out sophisticated mass spectrometry measurements in METRIC. Demonstrated ability to develop workflows and SOPs.
- B.S. or M.S. in analytical chemistry / mass spectrometry / advanced separations in the area of mass spectrometry, specific to -OMICS (from metabolomics and proteomics to metallomics)
- At least five years of experience in modern off-line and in-line separations / mass spectrometry research methods.
- Scientific and educational presentations internal and external to NC State a plus but not necessary
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
04/06/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and names and complete contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
210204 - METRIC Mass Spectrometry Platform TechnologyAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.