Accounts Payable Specialist
Job Title: Accounts Payable Specialist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 5730
Staff Posting Details Appointment: Regular, full time (1.0 FTE)
- Verify all incoming university disbursement requests and supplier invoices meet established criteria required for processing.
- Accurately enter all university disbursement requests, supplier invoices, and other related documentation into the PeopleSoft accounts payable system according to established timelines and due dates.
- Assist with accurate supplier record maintenance, including review of supplier W-9 forms for tax reporting obligations.
- Manage and process all accounts payable payment runs, both by established schedule according to terms and by off-cycle request.
- Manage and process all accounts payable payment data transmissions with the bank, including but not limited to daily monitoring of accounts payable related positive pay exceptions and taking appropriate actions as needed.
- Provide exceptional service-oriented support to constituents both on and off campus regarding accounts payable related transactions. This includes but is not limited to daily monitoring of and follow up on email requests sent to the accounts payable team or individual team members.
- Review, research, and reconcile monthly supplier statements, including taking appropriate follow-up action to resolve all outstanding items.
- Perform reconciliation of monthly credit card report, as well as accounts payable related balance sheet accounts (including prepaid accounts) as needed for fiscal year end reporting.
- Provide accounts payable related support for external audits, including cutoff procedures.
- Manage physical accounts payable supplier filing system, including daily filing (and/or supervising student or temporary staff filing) of check copies and supporting documentation plus executing and overseeing annual storage retention procedures.
- If needed, participate in hiring and coordinating the training of student staff assistants for the accounts payable area. Supervision responsibilities can extend to assigning tasks, timesheet approval, and coordinating performance development activities with student staff members and Career and Employment Services.
- Discern taxable transactions and prepare 1099 transactions for mandated IRS filings, subject to supervisory review.
- Assist with accurately identifying, tracking, and reporting all unclaimed property owed to and from the university in accordance with filing requirements mandated by the Washington State Department of Revenue.
- Actively participate in and contribute to growing the knowledge of the accounts payable team in the use of the PeopleSoft Accounts Payable module, including assistance with the creation and maintenance of policy, procedure, and process documentation.
- Execute accounts payable related system testing for periodic system upgrades and tax updates.
- Requires demonstrated understanding of and ability to apply accounting principles related to accounts payable.
- Requires the understanding and application of federal and state/local tax reporting regulations applicable to payment processing.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent customer service, including effective verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate accounts payable accounting-related explanations effectively to diverse campus constituents who are not as versed in accounting principles and terminology.
- Must have excellent and effective troubleshooting skills and apply critical and analytical thinking concepts to work assignments and to resolve issues.
- Must have excellent initiative, attention to detail, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Must have a strong understanding of the concept of “team work” and the importance of supporting common goals.
- Requires the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment, to multi-task, and to continuously reprioritize job tasks while maintaining a friendly, helpful attitude.
- Requires the ability to work overtime hours during peak periods as needed to meet university and regulatory timelines and due dates.
- Must have at least three years’ work experience with accounts payable, including customer service.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. The completion of bookkeeping or accounting courses is preferred.
- Requires experience with complex, computerized accounting systems. Experience with using the Internet and Web-based applications is preferred.
- Requires minimum 1 year experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- 10-key experience is essential.
- Experience using PeopleSoft is highly desirable. Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
- ResumeLetter of Interest
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.