The Grants Manager is involved with all aspects of pre and post award tasks, monitors all sponsored accounts, including cost sharing accounts, and prepares budget forecasts three times a year for departmental faculty. In addition, the Grants Manager is responsible for developing plans to meet funding challenges, reconciles project accounts, reviews and submits all proposals in ERA, assists Sponsored Research Accounting with internal audits, & maintains a detailed working knowledge of changes in systems or in the grant application process, accounting process and compliance. The Grants Manager is a senior financial manager working directly and independently with the Department Manager, the Department Chair, Princeton University Grants Managers, other outside institutional financial administrators as well as government and non government sponsor personnel. The Grants Manager serves as a resource for faculty, students and staff on policy and procedural questions related to grants management and financial controls. This individual must possess a firm understanding of academic research, government funding agency practices, compliance, university and departmental policies. The Grants Manager is also responsible for organizing, submitting and updating non funded agreements and data sharing agreements through the ERA system. 88 proposals totaling $66M and 31 agreements have been submitted through CS since January 2020. This position works closely with Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA), on no cost extensions, new awards, prior approvals, non funded agreements, subcontracts and consultant agreements and will work with Sponsored Research Accounting on invoicing and monthly reporting to ensure university and sponsored research regulations are followed.
Job ID: 2021-12396
# of Openings: 1
Category: Grants and Contracts
The Grants Manager for the department of Computer Science assists faculty in identifying and applying for grants. Computer Science manages, as of January 2021, $55M in grant funding. Currently there are 47 active faculty members with a hiring rate of about 3 per year.
- Advise faculty and provide projections with actual updates to determine overall funding as well as appropriate spending of individual grants. This includes updates on grant closings, projections, grant extensions, rebudgets, support for students and post docs etc.
- Advise faculty on hiring post docs and graduate students and sustainability over the course of years based on current and pending funds.
- Pre-award Grant Administration: prepare budgets and submit through ERA based on discussion with faculty and requirements of program announcement.
- Assemble and review all required proposal documents.
- Submit proposal documents through ERA and appropriate sponsor systems (Grants.gov, Fastlane and Workspace, Proposal Central) or directly to funding agency/ foundation by deadline.
- Verify Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) and E-verify is completed for those charged to sponsored research which is required by Princeton and multiple federal agencies. Ensure Foreign Influence policy is followed.
- Communicate allocation plans to Graduate Coordinator/Business Manager (as appropriate)
- Assist faculty with effort certification and ensure timely submission.
- Coordinate collaborative projects and sub-awards.
- Assist faculty as needed in collecting information and submitting reporting, as required by award.
- Prepare and submit cost transfer documentation when needed.
- Manage close out of awards.
- Process journal entries
- Manage and maintain summer salary effort for faculty.
- Approve invoices, purchase orders, travel vouchers, reimbursements and credit card activities on all sponsored projects.
- Analyze and ensure spending and justifications are in compliance with regulations and policies.
- Works with Sponsored Research Accounting on invoicing and monthly reporting to ensure university and sponsored research regulations are followed.
- Prepare and maintain Sponsored Project files, including record retention as required by Princeton and Federal and non Federal sponsors.
- Assist students and post docs with Concur reimbursements, reconcile departmental credit card.
- Attend training classes when available to maintain in depth working knowledge of grants administration.
- Work closely with current Grants Manager, and provide departmental support during the other Grant Manager's absence (and possibly under heavy workload).
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent and 5 years of grants management experience;
- Knowledge of federal agency grant proposal submission guidelines and portals;
- Competency with grant accounting;
- intermediate or advanced Excel skills;
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills; accuracy and attention to detail; flexibility and ability to work in a team environment;
- Able to multi task and switch tasks seamlessly;
- Ability to work with a variety of people including faculty, administrators, staff, students as well as outside individuals with a high level of tact, professionalism and confidentiality as a representative of Princeton University;