Associate Director for Outreach
Job location: Hayden Hall
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-05
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleAssociate Director for OutreachJob Profile TitleAssociate Director CJob Description SummaryReporting to the Senior Director, the Associate Director of Outreach is responsible for advancing the mission of the EII through on-campus engagement as well as delivering on a visibility strategy that includes a robust online presence, dynamic online and social media programming, and on-campus and global events (when possible).Job Description
Reporting to the Senior Director, the Associate Director of Outreach is responsible for advancing the mission of the EII through on-campus engagement as well as delivering on a visibility strategy that includes a robust online presence, dynamic online and social media programming, and on-campus and global events (when possible). Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Visibility: Oversee the development of the EII website and social media channels. Establish ways to issue regular updates about the activities of the EII, possibly including a newsletter.
- Communications: Manage EII communications and identify strategic ways to elevate the visibility of the EII, including fresh content and awards.
- Event Management: Lead the organization of high-profile events on campus, in Philadelphia, and at national and global gatherings.
- Programming: In support of the EII mission, develop programming to showcase the potential of UPenn teaching and research to contribute to innovative solutions for our global environment. This may include speaker series, online events, workshops, conferences, and more.
- Campus Engagement: With the Senior Director, identify, solicit, and cultivates community partnerships and collaborations to assist in the development and growth of the EII.
- Student Engagement: With the Senior Director, develop and execute a strategy to include students in facets of the EII, including internships, events, and research activities.
- Governance: Support the Senior Director and Faculty Directors in their efforts to establish a pan-university network and set of governing bodies.
- Fundraising: Contribute to the submission of fundraising applications and grant reporting. Promote philanthropic and collaborative support of EII programming.
- Metrics: Develops metrics to identify and measure the success of the EII. Establish protocols for informing leadership of progress, recommending structural or programmatic adjustments, and leveraging metrics for further visibility on campus and in the world.
- Operations: Support the Senior Director in the day-to-day management of the EII, including oversight of student or temporary employees and some budget management.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing engagement strategies and experience interfacing with diverse stakeholders required.
- Superior writing, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
- Proficiency with website management, as well as various social media platforms required.
- Event management experience required.
- Familiarity with website design / working with website designers and graphic designers preferred.
- Experience working in communications, preferably in a university setting preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate positively, effectively, and professionally with team members, other University employees on an interpersonal level, both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional administrative, planning, organizational and project management skills. Proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects.
- Strong time management skills and proven ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse constituency, including staff, students, faculty, and other community members.
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER WITH RESUME TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITIONJob Location - City, StatePhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / SchoolProvost Interdisciplinary ProgramsPay Range$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay