Library Assistant (Circulation Late-Night)
Library Assistant (Circulation Late-Night)Position Number:
Under general supervision, performs library work of considerable difficulty in the Access Services section (Circulation, Media, and Reserves) of the University’s library. For up to 25 hours a week, this position is in charge of the Library.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
1. Oversees the activities of the Access Services unit and the Library during the late night shift; enforces Library policies and procedures and addresses problems and emergencies, as appropriate; closes the Library, turning off all equipment and securing the building. Occasional schedule adjustments may require earlier daytime or later evening hours, and/or adjustment to days of the week worked, with similar building responsibilities.
2. Utilizing Library ILS, checks books and other circulating materials in and out of the Library; performs system over-rides to grant or extend library privileges to patrons, as authorized; creates patron records and borrowing cards for eligible affiliate patrons. Collects fines, fees, and lost/damaged book payments; balances and secures cash drawer. Assists Circulation Supervisor with maintaining organization of relevant collections; performs basic book repair; assists with special projects.
3. Runs automated reports; assists in collection of data, including circulation of materials, entry and exit readings, types of assistance provided, and other information. Prepares monthly and some annual statistical reports for Assistant Director of Library Access Services. Posts and documents fines/fees to patron records, including those that have transferred to the Bursar’s Office for collection; sets and removes Library holds in
Banner records as appropriate.
4. Provides basic directional, reference, and computer assistance to patrons coming to Circulation Desk, referring more complex queries to other available professional staff; communicates with patrons, faculty, visitors, and others in a professional, service-oriented manner. Answers the telephone, providing basic information, routing calls, and taking messages, as appropriate.
5. Assists patrons with audiovisual materials and equipment; retrieves media materials for patron use; uses photocopiers to create transparencies. Provides patrons with basic instruction on use of photocopiers; including equipment operation; assists in use of adaptive equipment and microform reader/printers.
6. Performs other duties as assigned, planning and organizing work to ensure completion of tasks and functions in a timely and efficient manner.
Knowledge of circulation and library procedures and practices.
Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; ability to organize and complete tasks in an accurate and timely manner; ability to perform work requiring accuracy and attention to detail; ability to type 35 – 40 WPM; ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Skilled in operation of personal computer; knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet functions; ability to use the online library database system.
Skilled in oral communication and interpersonal relations.
Possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
One year of library, museum, archival, or closely related experience, including background with personal or online computers. Completion of 6 semester hours of library science, or the equivalent may substitute for the required experience.
The nature of the work requires visual acuity, full range of motion including but not limited to standing, sitting, bending, twisting, pushing, pulling book carts up to 300 pounds, and lifting up to 30 pounds.EEO Statement:
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
04/06/2021Open Until Filled: