Assistant Director of Event Technology Services
Assistant Director of Event Technology ServicesPosition Number:
Special Events Facilities/ServicesSalary:
$39,878 - $44,100Job Summary/Description:
Reporting to the Director of Business Services, this position is a senior staff member responsible for providing creative and technical audio/visual solutions for campus events, as well as managing all day-to-day activities regarding event technology services in auxiliary event locations, including, but not limited to the Houston Harte University Center, Junell Center/Stephens Arena, and ASU Lake Facilities.
This position will assist in the management of event services as scheduled by the Office of Special Events for the Houston Harte University Center and other auxiliary event locations, to include coordination with customers to develop detailed event needs and successfully set up and execute planned events.
The position requires a flexible schedule, as events occur on weekends, weekdays, and evenings, and he or she will be required to attend events/meetings outside regular business hours throughout the year.
This full-time position plays a key role in the daily management and oversight of the Houston Harte University Center building and grounds as well as other auxiliary event facilities and locations.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
1. Works with Director, IT, and other departmental and campus stakeholders to plan, purchase, and integrate new A/V equipment into current workflows, including researching, evaluating, and recommending new technologies and technology vendors to support event needs; works with the Director on all budget and capital expense improvements within the scope of the department’s audio and visual services; oversees the management and technical implementation of virtual event hosting platforms and solutions used by the Special Events team; acts as the subject matter expert on the latest technology and innovative experiences for hosting live and virtual events within a higher education setting.
2. Works directly with the venue Events Managers to accommodate all audio/visual/IT set up and tear-down of meetings, indoor and outdoor events, sporting events, and all other events as directed; works hand-in-hand with internal and external customers, other team members, and cross-departmentally to support quality live, virtual, and hybrid events using the latest technology; provides on-site support to virtual and hybrid event attendees, exhibitors, and presenters; leads the event technology team with a positive and compassionate attitude, giving work direction to employees and helping develop them professionally.
3. Works with internal and external customers and guests to identify and plan events, configure facility and room set-ups per instructions/requirements. Ensures appropriate staffing for all events and special programs. Performs all required customer follow-up duties to complete the reservation process and finalize event confirmations.
4. Plans, inspects, sets and manages/supervises: physical building areas, both interior and exterior, to include labor, equipment, food services
5. Plans and controls labor hours used (so as to stay within allotted budget and university guidelines) and tracks/ties all labor to
departmental EMS/events software in support of daily building operations and events management. Plans and controls: cleaning and building preparations, needed Facilities Management controls, equipment and food services arrangements for scheduled events, meetings, and other activities. Ensures that tables, seating, staging, lighting, sound, and all other appropriate resources affecting events are operational and properly configured.
5. Provides event details and instructions to set-up crew members verbally, visually and in writing using provided events software packages. Controls event staff performance before, during and after the conduct of events.
6. Manages custodial contract and performs maintenance inspections and follows up with appropriate personnel to ensure that repairs are completed/deficiencies corrected; performs minor building and audio-visual equipment maintenance tasks daily as needed.
7. Conducts the annual inventory of all assigned property and equipment; coordinates with Associate Director and Events Managers on inventory management of all audio and visual equipment; ensures all information technology, audio, and video troubleshooting and preventative maintenance has been addressed; documents findings.
8. Prepares weekly work schedules for student employees in the department.
9. Professionally represents the department in meetings, committees, and teams, as assigned.
10. Drafts and prepares labor and event plans, schedules, reports, internal memos and routine correspondence.
11. Interviews, selects, trains, and supervises student and/or temporary personnel.
12. Communicates in a professional, service-oriented manner with faculty, staff, students, visitors and others in
the course of performing work or coordinating tasks.
13. Is available to respond to after-hours alarms.
14. Is prepared to implement security and disaster preparedness procedures.
15. All additional duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of basic audio systems, basic video switching, computers/PPT, basic stage lighting, and basic IT knowledge;
• Knowledge of events scheduling and set up procedures;
• Knowledge of customer service principles and practices;
• Knowledge of word processing applications and software, particularly Microsoft Office Suite;
• Knowledge of general purchasing procedures and regulations;
• Ability to organize and coordinate event set-ups;
• Ability to estimate and schedule labor requirements;
• Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations;
• Strong organizational skills, including the ability to organize and complete multiple tasks in an accurate and timely manner;
• Skilled in oral communication and interpersonal relations, including being able to take in a large amount of information and
summarize it quickly both in writing and orally on a regular basis;
• Ability to manage strong relationships independently with a variety of constituents;
• Ability to function effectively as a team member and a willingness to participate in activities and assignments that help meet
the goals of and objective of the department;
• Ability to remain comfortable working with large groups of people, controlling group dynamics with a positive attitude, and the
ability to adapt to a shifting schedule;
• Ability to respond to emergencies in a calm and efficient manner;
• Strong team-building skills and an ability to thrive in an environment with many stakeholders;
• Ability to work independently and remotely.
Bachelor’s degree in any field plus a minimum of two years of progressive experience in audio/visual production/services, facilities/building operations or management, event planning and set-up, or other directly related field.
Master’s degree in related Technical Audio/Video field preferred.
Education and/or experience can be blended on an individual basis to produce the successful candidate.
Must have excellent customer service skills with a willing and pleasant attitude. Must have strong communication skills with attention to detail.EEO Statement:
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
04/06/2021Open Until Filled: