SKILLED TRADES WORKER
SKILLED TRADES WORKERDepartment:
Housing Facilities - MaintenanceAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
University Housing’s mission is to provide comfortable, affordable and secure on-campus housing options in residential communities where the academic success and personal growth of residents are encouraged and supported. University Housing operates as a self-supporting auxiliary unit within the Division of Student Affairs. More than 8,000 students live on campus, where University Housing manages more than 2.8 million square feet of space in 22 residence halls, 20 apartment buildings, four Greek Park houses and 18 buildings on UGA’s nearby Health Sciences Campus. The department employs more than 700 staff members to conduct the operations of a comprehensive and integrated student housing organization.College/Unit/Department website:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
M-F, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.Advertised Salary:
04/05/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
05/03/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Skilled CraftspersonJob Family:
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, formal training programs, or on-the-job training. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
The primary function of this position is to perform a variety of building maintenance tasks in and around the residence halls. This person works in a community – housing approximately 1,000 student residents.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
1. Considerable knowledge and skills in the use of tools, equipment and practices used in the skilled trades worker field.
2. Troubleshoot and repair projects and work orders associated with skilled trades worker field.
3. Develop and maintain professional relationships with staff, residents and various customer groups and demonstrates supportive involvement in work environment.
4. Work as a team member, but also make effective independent decisions and follow through on assignments.
5. Efficiently utilize a variety of computer applications in the completion of assigned tasks, including but not limited to the work order system, Kronos payroll system, Microsoft Office Suite, UGA email and employee websites.
6. Understands and carries out oral and written instructions.
7. Sufficient verbal communication skills needed to effectively communicate with supervisors, staff and residents.
1. Climb stairs, ladders and scaffolds, may work from a ladder or scaffold.
2. Bend at the waist and knees.
3. Work with arms and hands overhead for extended periods of time.
4. Use hand tools and power tools.
5. Lift and move items at least 60 pounds in weight, both assisted and unassisted on a regular basis.
6. Crawl to complete various tasks.
7. Perform work related duties outdoors in hot or cold weather conditions.
8. Operate a UGA state vehicle as necessary.
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
YesDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
1. Performs basic carpentry tasks such as but not limited to: doors and frames; windows and hardware, and minor furniture repair.
2. Performs minor/basic repairs to locks and/or door hardware.
3. Performs minor plumbing repairs such as but not limited to the following: washer replacement, unclogging drains, and replacement of flush valves.
4. Performs basic electrical tasks such as but not limited to the following: repair/replace light fixtures, switches and receptacles.
5. Responds to written and verbal, as well as computerized work order requests in a timely manner. Utilizes and manipulates the web based work order system to document work.
6. Safely operates and uses various tools associated with the skilled trades worker field, e.g. power and hand tools.
7. Carries out work assignments with expected degree of independence and efficiency to completion according to skilled trades worker practice with limited callbacks for additional repair.
1. Inspects and performs basic repairs to various appliances within a residential setting.
2. Identifies and completes facilities improvement projects individually or on a team, may include planning.
3. Keeps all work areas clean. Removes trash and debris associated with day to day tasks in immediate shop area.
4. Keeps shop area inventoried, stocked and organized so that supplies can be easily located by other staff members.
5. Knowledge of workplace rules and guidelines and stay in compliance with UGA policies and procedures.
6. Effectively communicates and collaborates in a professional and consistent manner with a wide variety of individuals such as building service workers, residence hall staff, students/families and other maintenance team members via radio, telephone or in person.
1. Participates in maintenance after hours on-call program as required.
2. Schedules and supervises a crew of students/temporary employees on assigned work projects.
3. Performs summer work assignments including implementation of special projects and safety inspections.
Other duties consistent with the purpose and scope of this position which may be assigned.Percentage of time: