Writing Tutor (Reading Writing Lab)
Job location: BYU–Hawaii
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-04-05
If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board.NOTE: You can only have 5 open student applications at a time.
Provides individual instruction and coaching to supplement classroom learning.
- Direct one-on-one online tutoring
- Create and maintain weekly labs for ENGL101/315
- Complete one level of CRLA certification each semester
- Propose, plan, and responsibly complete a project that will service our students and enhance the Lab. This project guarantees 19 hours of work, even when tutorials are not available.
- Attend all weekly staff meetings, trainings, and ENGL 395R class. Staff meetings are held every Thursday at 11am. Training done during staff meetings is required for CRLA certification, thus, candidates who are not able to attend the staff meeting will not be hired.
- Learn and fulfill all reception desk duties, which include responding to emails and social media messages, maintaining the appointments calendar, assigning the wait list as needed, acting as a contact point for tutees and tutors, etc.
- Complete a weekly work log (required for CRLA certification)
- Prepare and teach 2 workshops each semester. Spring 2021 workshops will be done remotely.
- Enroll in and complete 3 semesters of English 395R (required for CRLA certification)
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Completion of English 101 or transfer credit equivalent
- Complete English Skills Proficiency Exam with 80% or higher grade. For Spring 2021 candidates, this test will be done online through Canvas.
- Submit a writing sample (minimum 1 page, double spaced)
- Submit a current resume with references
- A recommendation from an English or EIL professor is strongly recommended.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Commit to at least 3 semesters of employment
- Attend all weekly staff meetings and trainings
- Work 15-19 hours per week
- Be punctual and flexible
- Relate to diverse ethnic backgrounds
Typical classroom environment.