At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a full time Custodial Maintenance -Evening Shift who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement and performs lock and unlock assignments of facilities, minor building maintenance duties, event set ups and tear downs, some custodial maintenance duties, including dusting, mopping, finishing and buffing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, cleaning and restocking restrooms.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Completion of 6th grade.
Preferred: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Six (6) months of experience in custodial or cleaning in a commercial setting.
- Two (2) years of custodial/cleaning experience in a commercial setting.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Required: Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to understand verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to understand written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Knowledge of proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs minor maintenance, such as replacing light bulbs, adjusting furniture, or other similar activities such as event set up and tear down.
- Unlocks and locks doors, ensuring doors are locked when facilities are not in use, or at closing time.
- Performs monthly inventory for all custodial supplies in warehouse as well as distributes supplies to all Amarillo Campuses.
- Performs general, routine custodial duties, to include dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning restrooms, restocking paper and soap supplies and disposing of trash.
- Performs routine maintenance to custodial equipment and supplies.
- Reports needs and concerns to appropriate staff, which may include submitting or recommending work orders and checking supply levels.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Performs cleaning functions specific to the assigned facilities and/or based on seasonal/project requirements.
- May provide vendors with access to areas for cleaning and may answer basic questions. May report issues with vendors to supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Maintenance Department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, bend, climb, crouch, crawl, reach, pull, push, and use hands to finger, handle or feel. Must be comfortable with working in small confined spaces as required as well as working in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions. Must be able to lift, carry, push, pull and maneuver objects up to 50 pounds and maneuver heavier objects with assistance of others and/or appropriate equipment. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
Working Conditions: Required to work 40 hours per week Monday through Friday and some occasional overtime hours may be required. Required to maintain a valid Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
Working Environment: This position operates in various office/campus facilities location in addition to indoor and outdoor environments. During the performance of this position, the employee may be exposed to mechanical and electrical hazards as well as working in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.