At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a full time Maintenance Electrician who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement and who will perform complex technical work, on a journeyman level, in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of electrical systems, equipment, fixtures and related electro-mechanical systems, in accordance with applicable Electrical Industry Codes.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Completion of a certifying technical training program in electrical maintenance or completion of an electrician's apprenticeship
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in the electrical trade.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Required: Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
Preferred: Journeyman electrician license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of current electrical codes and standards (including National Electrical Codes).
- Ability to interpret wiring diagrams, blueprints, and electrical schematics is required. Must be able to apply electrical formulas and conversion tables to job requirements.
- Ability to use electrical test equipment and small hand and power tools, such as wrenches, drills, soldering irons, volt-ohmmeters, amp meters, circuit testers, and vacuum and pressure gauges, is required. Computer literacy is required.
- Ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Knowledge of proper methods of lifting and moving heavy objects.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspect and test elements of electrical systems to locate and diagnose faults and malfunctions.
- Perform required repairs through replacement of inoperative parts or re-wiring of circuits, and provides an estimate of repair (and/or replacement) costs beyond the capability to perform.
- Calculate branch circuit loads, interpret electrical wiring diagrams and schematics, and determine methods and requirements for wiring circuits.
- Perform journeyman level electrical work in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of electrical systems, equipment, fixtures and related electro-mechanical systems by inspecting and testing elements of electrical systems to locate and diagnose faults and malfunctions.
- Perform required repairs through replacement of inoperative parts or re-wiring of circuits in accordance with applicable Electrical Industry Codes.
- Provide an estimate of repair (and/or replacement) costs beyond the capability to perform.
- Ensure electrical distribution systems, including power supply lines up to 600 volts, are safe, meet the requirements for electrical power, and comply with applicable codes by maintaining, modifying, and repairing those systems.
- Monitor, install or replace, and adjust transformers to desired rated capacities in conformance with applicable electrical code requirements.
- Calculate branch circuit loads, interpreting electrical wiring diagrams and schematics, and determining methods and requirements for wiring circuits.
- Provide technical assistance in the purchase of new or replacement electrical and electro-mechanical equipment or systems by reviewing and preparing equipment specifications, and advising the Superintendent of Maintenance and Operations, on equipment capability and compatibility, installation requirements and costs, and potential operations and maintenance expenses.
- Contribute to a safe campus environment during the hours of darkness and support the campus, by servicing and maintaining all exterior lighting on campus, including mercury vapor, high pressure sodium, and metal halide lamps as assigned.
- Promote preventive maintenance as a strategy in maintaining electronic test equipment and mechanical tools.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Maintenance Department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, bend, climb, crouch, crawl, reach, pull, push, and use hands to finger, handle or feel. Must be comfortable with working in small confined spaces as required as well as working in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions. Must be able to lift, carry, push, pull and maneuver objects up to 30 pounds and maneuver heavier objects with assistance of others and/or appropriate equipment.
Working Conditions: Required to work 40 hours per week Monday through Friday and some occasional overtime hours may be required. Required to maintain a valid Class C Driver’s License with a 3-year safe driving record.
Working Environment: This position operates in various office/campus facilities location in addition to indoor and outdoor environments. During the performance of this position, the employee may be exposed to mechanical and electrical hazards as well as working in a variety of inclement weather and climatic conditions.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.