The videographer is a creative and strategic thinker responsible for building and maintaining the Lafayette College brand through visual storytelling. The videographer should combine several key skills, including the ability to concept, plan, manage, capture, edit, caption, publish, and archive videos and footage. As a team member in Lafayette’s Communications Division, this position will play the key role in bringing stories to life as well as supporting College and divisional objectives by balancing an array of video requests, meeting project objectives, managing projects in different stages of production, using a variety of cinemagraphic techniques, editing to deadline, and working alongside student and freelance resources.
Reporting to the Photography and Videography Manager, the videographer will consult with campus stakeholders, collaborate with divisional colleagues, participate in and contribute to content development, tailor content to different audiences, leverage divisional process for footage and project delivery, and stay abreast of videographic trends. The position’s direct responsibility is to plan and implement videographic content for Lafayette’s main communication projects, including but not limited to news and storytelling, event coverage, special assignments, and social media outlets.
To successfully accomplish the goals of this position, the videographer will:
- Generate documentary, informational, and promotional videos that convey the Lafayette brand in authentic, captivating, and genuine ways
- Maintain the College brand standards
- Document the intellectual, artistic, and organizational life of the campus
- Contribute concepts that meet specific project goals
- Develop production schedule that meets requestors’ needs
- Manage all aspects of production, including conceiving, storyboarding, shooting, and editing
- Determine appropriate scale, length, and pacing of productions
- Film aesthetically pleasing and appropriate visuals
- Capture high-quality audio and make music choices that enhance the emotional impact of the productions
- Apply strong post-production processes appropriate for each project
- Adhere to specific timetables and deadlines
- Package projects for use across multiple channels
- Maintain the digital assets by following a naming, tagging, and archiving structure
Ideal candidate will have:
- BS/BA degree from an accredited college or university; MS preferred
- Five years working experience in a videographic field in journalism, advertising, communications, marketing or PR, preferably at an educational institution.
- Extensive knowledge of both the artistic and technical qualities of videography
- Extensive experience with videographic equipment and software
- Extensive experience with video and sound equipment
- Extensive experience with Premiere and Final Cut Pro
- Proficiency with photographic equipment and software
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (i.e., Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects)
- Proficiency with Mac and PC platforms and advanced office software
- Proficiency with motion graphics
- Proficiency with typography and design
- Holds drone certification or willingness to obtain
- Management skills
- Superior project management and organizational skills.
- Strong creative thinking mindset.
- Ability to take initiative in developing on-brand messaging.
- Strong videographic and editing skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and set priorities within a fast paced environment.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, particularly those requiring very quick turnaround, on an ongoing basis.
- Willingness to work during nonstandard business hours.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time, both independently and as part of a team.
- Outgoing and engaging personality, a great sense of humor, strong work ethic, and the desire and ability to take the initiative in exploring new strategies the College should consider.
- Willingness to meet the varying need states of a layered organization
- Excellent interpersonal/team skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Open to feedback
- Demonstrated ability to assess photographic activities and performance, identify strategic opportunities, and develop effective programs to advance departmental and institutional objectives.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lb. of equipment around a college campus
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Lafayette College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, age, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any characteristic protected by law, in its educational programs and activities, admissions, or employment, as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable laws and College policies. Lafayette College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
Lafayette College is committed to creating a diverse community: one that is inclusive and responsive, and is supportive of each and all of its faculty, students, and staff. All members of the College community share a responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning environment in which difference is valued, equity is sought, and inclusiveness is practiced. Lafayette College is an equal opportunity employer.