Human Resources Coordinator
Present Position Number:
00272WRole Code Title:
Admin & Office Specialist IIIPosition Title:
Human Resources CoordinatorPosition Summary:
The HR Coordinator is an integral part of the HR function, processing payroll-related actions that originate within HR and in departments across campus. These actions have a direct impact on our employees, since they affect both salary and benefits deductions. The incumbent works closely with other HR staff members, central units, and departments to ensure actions are processed timely and correctly. An understanding of HR policies, employee benefits, and the intricacies of the system is essential to be successful in this job. In addition, the incumbent must be an excellent communicator and a team player.
Core duties include, but are not limited to:
• Review incoming actions for accuracy and required approvals. Communicate with departments or HR colleagues to resolve questions.
• Complete set up for new hires to include deductions, leave, and time sheets, as well as service date adjustments for state transfers.
• Process transactions related to pay and position changes, to include determining the impact on benefits.
• Terminate employees, adjust reporting relationships as appropriate, and review leave payout report.
• Conduct an audit of all transactions prior to each payroll and resolve issues to ensure payroll processing is correct.
• Resolve issues related to employee, job and deduction set up during payroll processing.
• Work with Payroll as needed to process leave payouts and corrections for over-payments.
• Run and act on or disseminate reports, as appropriate.
• Respond to general questions about HR policy and procedures.
• EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent
• Experience using an HR-related information system and/or processing personnel related transactions.
• Strong problem-solving and analytical ability.
• Detail orientation.
• Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical calculations accurately.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to carry out multiple competing and changing priorities within a deadline driven environment
• Ability to read and understand policy, and to follow procedures
• Proficiency in a variety of computer software programs including MS Office (specifically Word, Excel and Power Point), as well as an HR information system or comparable payroll system.
• EDUCATION: Some college level work, or a bachelor’s degree, in the HR field is highly preferred.
• Substantive experience with an HR information system or related data processing position is highly preferred
• Experience with running and preparing reports from an HR information system.
• Knowledge of Banner (HR Module) or other Oracle based HR/Payroll system is highly preferred.
• Experience supporting two (2) or more functional HR areas (e.g. Compensation, Benefits, and/or Recruitment/Employment.
• Knowledge of Commonwealth of VA HR systems and state policies and procedures.
• Previous experience working for a VA state agency, particularly in higher education.
Up to $38,500, Commensurate with ExperienceDepartment:
931000 Human Resources OfficeLocation:
William & MaryUniversity Salary Range:
U06Job Open Date:
04/05/2021Job Close Date:
04/09/2021Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalPosition Term:
12-MonthSpecial Application Instructions:
This is an internal posting. Position is open to William & Mary and VIMS employees only.Conditions of Employment::
• This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.• This position may be subject to overtime during peak times, as directed and approved by the supervisor.• Flexibility is required; the position may be subject to additional hours beyond the typical work day/week on heavy payroll processing days or in other circumstances to meet the needs of the business.
• During the Aug 10 – Sept 9 payrolls, this position may require additional hours with limited leave/time off options.
• This position has been designated as essential and may require reporting to work when the college is officially closed.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php