Library Specialist - Metadata
Present Position Number:
00006WRole Code Title:
Library Specialist IIPosition Title:
Library Specialist - MetadataPosition Summary:
William & Mary Libraries seeks a collaborative colleague to serve as Library Specialist – Metadata. This position creates or adapts data to describe digital content and is part of a small team that describes all library materials. This position uses online library systems, but no prior library experience is necessary, and training will be provided. The successful candidate will have experience with data entry and spreadsheets. The position reports to the Head of Cataloging & Metadata.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Creating metadata for items in William & Mary’s digital collections and institutional repository;
• Working with others in the library to add materials to the institutional repository;
• Setting up and maintaining research profiles for faculty and graduate students;
• Collaborating with the Cataloging & Metadata team to provide descriptions for all library materials;
• Supporting scholarly communication initiatives on campus;
• Communicating clearly, effectively, and personably with the W&M community;
• Supervising student employees and/or volunteers;
• Supporting the library’s mission by serving on committees, task forces, or project teams.
• High school graduate or equivalent;
• Experience with data entry;
• Strong organizational skills with emphasis on accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail;
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to learn new skills to meet changes in procedures, processes, and technology;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues, faculty, students and patrons;
• Strong commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion. Experience with complex data in any field including (but not limited to) business, medical, hospitality, educational, or library fields.
• Bachelor’s degree in any field
• Prior cataloging or comparable technical expertise
• Experience with complex data in any field including (but not limited to) business, medical, hospitality, educational, or library fields;
• Experience with data remediation using tools such as Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or OpenRefine
$38,000-$43,445, Commensurate with ExperienceDepartment:
361000 Swem Library OperatingLocation:
William & MaryUniversity Salary Range:
U06Job Open Date:
04/05/2021Job Close Date:
05/04/2021Open Until Filled:
Full Time OperationalPosition Term:
12 Month - ContinuingConditions of Employment::
40 hour work week; Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm; flexible hours may be possible. Some weekend or holiday hours may be required.
This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime during high peak times, etc., as directed and approved by the supervisor.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php