Job no: 516250
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Business/Accounting/Finance
Department:60310000 - AG-FAC PLANNING / OPERATIONS
Accounting SpecialistJob Description:
The UF Institute of Food & Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) Facilities Planning & Operations Department constructs and maintains facilities around the state of Florida. Our work makes crucial research and education possible for improving agriculture, food, and natural resources. The accountant position will support our mission through the following responsibilities.
Operational Budget Management - Maintains approximately $4 million annual operations budgets, with a focus on expense management. Responsibilities include, processing purchase cards, requisitions, purchase orders, and invoices. Requires knowledge and adherence to regulations, record retention, and audit requirements. Position may serve as auditor of UF/IFAS statewide maintenance budgets. Responsible for accuracy, timeliness, independent decisions while knowing when/how to escalate concerns when appropriate, and maintaining both external and internal customer service relationships.
Construction Finance Management - Responsible for construction accounts for multiple individual construction projects, ranging from $500 to $2 million, with a combined total of all construction projects being approximately $20 million. For each construction project, this position will ensure contracts and expenses are executed accurately and timely. Responsible for purchase cards, requisitions, purchase orders, invoices, Project Tracker, auditing, and closeout of projects. Ability to work with funding from various sources that spans multiple years. Must gain expert knowledge of construction specific rules, funding, and contracts.
Additional Responsibilities - Lead specialty projects. Pay utility bills. Process insurance. Assist with FEMA/FDEM. Backup other budget areas, assets, space allocation, and travel. Training and billing clients. Other duties as requested. May require use of state vehicles for travel to UF/IFAS departments on Gainesville and other IFAS Facilities statewide.Expected Salary:
$48,000 - $52,000, commensurate with qualifications and experienceMinimum Requirements:
A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and one year of appropriate experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft, Project Tracker, STARS, myUFmarketplace
- Knowledge of UF construction & maintenance rules, funding, and contract processes
- Skilled in accounting concepts and reconciliation processes
- Understanding of UF funding regulations and auditing processes
- Knowledge of UF travel, utility, asset, space, and facility maintenance software programs
- Experience with FEMA, FDEM, or insurance
- Skilled in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Teams
- Ability to understand and articulate policies and procedures, and train key stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Excellent customer service, time management, record-keeping and organizational abilities required
- Ability to work independently while having the knowledge of when to escalate concerns to the supervisor
- Valid Florida driver license
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and three or more references.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 05 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 18 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time