Residence Hall Director
The Residence Hall Director is responsible for the overall development and administration of a supportive learning environment within an assigned residential community ranging in size from 350 to 750 residents. The Residence Hall Director plays an integral role in shaping the experience of residential students at Georgia State University by developing a premier residential experience that supports the academic mission of Georgia State, and the co-curricular learning goals and student engagement activities of the Division of Student Affairs. University Housing is committed to utilizing Atlanta as an urban classroom to foster a supportive and challenging multicultural learning environment for resident students. This position is essential. It provides continuous services to the University. Will be required to live in the residence hall.
- Responsible for the overall development and management of the assigned residential community.
- Foster a supportive, inclusive environment through community programming and contact with students and staff.
- Responsible for implementing the residential curriculum and academic initiatives and services for residential students.
- Assist Assistant Residence Hall Director(s) and Resident Assistants to develop intentional plans to further the academic, social, and personal development of residents.
- Support the Community Councils by attending planned officer retreats, meetings, and programming events.
- Counsel, advise and make referrals to residential students as appropriate and follow up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Oversee community policy education and enforcement initiatives.
- Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate student staff (Resident Assistants) and a full-time Assistant Residence Hall Director(s).
- Develop, implement and support training efforts for student staff within the community and department.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, and training of professionals, graduate, and undergraduate staff.
- Participate in departmental/divisional training and development activities.
- Communicate regularly with Assistant Residence Hall Director and Resident Assistants, via weekly staff meetings, one-on-ones, email, and daily personal contact.
- Respond through personal contact with students, parents, faculty, administrators, and other stakeholders to resolve issues, answer questions and clarify the policy.
- Serve on departmental and University committees, task forces and participate in other professional development activities (Residence Life Leadership Team, etc.).
- Participate in a rotation of 24-hour on-call coverage during the academic year, including university break periods for housing, summer school, and/or conferences.
- Establish and maintain communication with supervisors, Dean of Student’s Office, and Counseling Center concerning students of concern who live in your residence halls.
- Prioritize and monitor the program and administrative budgets.
- Contribute to the department’s continuous quality improvement efforts and customer service training.
- Perform other duties consistent with the purpose of the position as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and two years of related experience.
04/19/21, 10:59:00 PM
College/Business Unit: Housing
Location: Atlanta Campus
Job Posting: 04/05/21, 11:00:00 PM