FAFSA Outreach Counselor
At LSSC your success is our mission.
We value People. Our employees are empowered to take actions that positively impact our students and each other. We value Diversity. By embracing and celebrating our differences, we offer an inclusive and supportive work culture. We value Forward Thinking. By encouraging innovation and a collaboration, we foster a creative learning environment for students and staff. If you are looking for a place with ample opportunity to grow in your career, consider LSSC.
The FAFSA Outreach Counselor serves as the primary contact for students completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This position provides community-focused engagement to encourage and assist in FAFSA completion. The Outreach Counselor provides support to students, LSSC staff, and the general public regarding federal financial aid programs and the application process. The Outreach Counselor will assist the Director and collaborate with other departments to develop strategies that support departmental goals and objectives, and aid the college in overall enrollment, retention, and student satisfaction efforts.
Responsible for demonstrating LSSC’s values of learning, people, student success, forward-thinking, commitment to excellence, accessibility, diversity, partnerships, and sound management practices.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide community-focused engagement to encourage and assist in FAFSA completion, including, but not limited to, high schools, churches, youth groups, and other community organizations.
Provide technical intervention support to students and others completing the FAFSA. Provide support to students throughout the verification process.
2. Provide coordination and supervision of Financial Aid student service operations to ensure exceptional customer service to a diverse community of students.
3. Redesign LSSC website and other materials to facilitate the FAFSA process. Develop marketing "campaigns to complete" in collaboration with Marketing Team.
4. Responsible for staff training, including admissions, athletics, and enrollment coaching staff on FAFSA completion process. Attend recruitment activities and events with the Admissions team. Responsible for conducting orientation sessions and activities for new students.
5. Collaborate with other offices and departments to provide appropriate resources to students, represent Financial Aid at various programs on and off campus, and serves on college committees as appropriate.
6. Independently conduct analysis on students who have had their Free Application for Federal Student Aid selected for verification, determine and request additional information as needed.
7. Prepare data reporting to track Financial Aid progress starting at FAFSA completion through awarding and degree completion.
8. Provide up-to-date, accurate, and complete information to students and parents in person, via phone, e-mail, or chat during peak service times. Coordinate all consumer information systems (e.g., in person, phone, email, and web site).
9. Develop effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
10. Assist the Director and collaborate with other departments in developing strategies that support the goals and objectives of the department, division and college in enrollment, retention, student satisfaction and other related areas.
11. Flexible schedule required working nights and weekends supporting student events and during peak times to support service to students.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Required: Minimum Bachelor Degree in a related field from an accredited institution.
Preferred: Master’s Degree.
EXPERIENCE: Required: Minimum of three (3) years financial aid or education experience or up to
six (6) years progressive financial aid experience.