Assistant Director, First Year Experience
Job Title: Assistant Director, First Year Experience
Location: Americus, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225205
Georgia Southwestern State University – a four-year institution – cultivates excellence in learning and teaching that encourages intellectual, personal, and social growth for students, faculty, staff, and the community. Georgia Southwestern State University is a comprehensive state university within the University System of Georgia that offers a full range of bachelor degree programs, along with selected master’s and specialist degree programs.
Georgia Southwestern is committed to serving the needs of its developing region with educational programs for high school, for professional and technical graduates; post-graduate professional training; research and business services; and cultural enrichment. Through its national and international affiliations, the University links Southwest Georgia with the global economy and actively fosters a greater understanding of international business and culture.Job Summary This position is responsible for guiding the success, transition, retention, and academic development of university students through the implementation of First-Year Experience programs and initiatives.Responsibilities
- Recruitment, admission, and advisement of Dual Enrollment students (40%)Recruitment of dual enrollment students.Process admissions for dual enrollment students.Provide academic advisement to dual enrollment students.Process dual enrollment funding applications.
- Advises students. (20%)Provides academic advisement to students. Creates and modifies schedules for incoming freshmen.Assists students with course selection, registration, and schedule revision.Monitors and tracks advisee progress.Maintains correspondence with advisees concerning appointments and other matters.Refers students to campus and community resources.Processes drop/add forms, withdrawal forms, registration, name changes, and changes in programs of study.Develops and supports procedures for identifying at-risk students.Assists students with changes in majors.
- Work collaboratively with Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and other related to departments to provide holistic student advisement and support.
- Collaborate with university constituent groups to advance Momentum Year priorities.
- Responsible for student retention through intentional outreach initiatives, intrusive advising, and academic partnerships.
- Oversees and manages programs and services related to Career Readiness. (20%)Coordinates programs and services focused on career readiness.Administers Focus 2 Career Readiness Assessment.Assists in creating, implementing, and monitoring high-impact education programs for students.Implements, monitors, and assesses innovated practices focused on best practices for student success.
- Provides administrative support for international student services. (10%)
- Processes student records and documents for international students including immigration documents, I-20, for the issuance of F-1 student visas.
- Maintains student information in the student information database (SEVIS).
- Performs a variety of related duties. (10%)Including but not limited to new student orientation, STORM Day, registration days, and Parent/Family programs.Keeps abreast of current best practices related to First-Year Experience and academic advising.Maintains up-to-date knowledge and implements continuous best practices related to student development, diversity and inclusion, and student engagement.Maintains a thorough knowledge of federal, state, USG, and university policies and regulations as they relate to student engagement and success.Serve as an instructor for an academic renewal course when necessary.
- Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.More than five years of related experience required.
Please attach a cover letter , resume, and contact information for three professional references.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures.Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.Knowledge of contemporary college advising models.Knowledge of student development theory and its application to improved student learning outcomes.Skill in collecting in analyzing data related to student success, student learning outcomes, and program success.Skill in the development and presentation of educational programs and/or workshops.Skill in decision making and problem solving.Skill in the selection, training, and supervision of personnel.Skill in the completion of a variety of reports.Skill in oral and written communication.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at 229-931-2000 or by email at [email protected].
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or [email protected].Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating eligibility for employment with Georgia Southwestern State University, as determined by Georgia Southwestern State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check and drug screen.Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southwestern State University is an equal opportunity employer. As such, the University takes affirmative action to preclude discrimination in recruiting, transferring, training and terminating of employees because of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, veterans status, disability or any other reason in accordance with applicable state and federal statutes, executive orders and other regulations which prohibit discriminatory employment practices.