Associate Director of Human Resources
Category:: Staff and Administrators
Department:: 5410 (HR-Human Res.& Affirm.Action)
Locations:: Worcester, MA
Posted:: Apr 5, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time - Exempt
Ref. No.:: 199892
Position ID:: 129680
About Clark University:
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
The Associate Director is an integral member of the Human Resources team and assists the Director with the administration of all aspects of human resources services and programs.
In this role, the Associate Director will cultivate an environment that embraces and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in support of the University's mission and values. This commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion reinforces our philosophy in recruitment, hiring, and retention
Primary responsibilities of this position are to coordinate HR policies and programs (with emphasis on hiring efforts, onboarding programs, compensation and classification analysis, and performance management), ensuring that the University is in full compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations. In addition, the position works closely with the Director and other HR team members in developing, implementing, and evaluating ongoing HR policies, programs, functions and activities.
- Partners with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to establish best practices for ensuring diverse applicant pools, monitors affirmative action compliance, conducts faculty and non-faculty search committee trainings, and assesses the diversity composition of applicant pools for both faculty and non-faculty searches
- Oversees all aspects of hiring and onboarding efforts for all non-faculty employees, including promoting a diverse workforce
- Supports the academic administration with all full and part-time faculty employment/onboarding practices, procedures and protocols
- Prepares and posts recruitment ads for non-faculty positions
- Primary contact for the campus community on the use and navigation of the University's applicant tracking and onboarding software system and processes
- Prepares letters of appointments for non-faculty positions
- Compile and email employment activity notifications to HR/PR/Budget team members and distribute weekly employment activity report to campus partners
- Coordinates the onboarding of new full and part time faculty and staff to gather requisite employment/benefit forms necessary to create the personal demographic, employment, job and benefit records
- Plans, directs and supervises all activities relating to administration and maintenance of HR records data, including supervision of HR Records Administrator.
- Perform strategic workforce analysis and assess benchmark data to identify gaps between market and internal equity
- Supports the Director in the review and analysis of staffing levels, job classification, and compensation structure
- Assists the Director in the daily administration of other HR services and programs, including hiring, employment compliance, job classification and performance management
- Stays current with existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management, to include compliance with out of state and/or international employment regulations
- Serves as primary contact for the International Students & Scholars Office on all matters pertaining to permanent residency of students, faculty and staff
- The position also serves as the HR liaison on various campus committees
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred, PHR/SPHR Certification desired
- At least 5-7 years human resources experience in higher education or not-for-profit organization required
- Strong understanding of key DEI concepts like inclusion, equity, psychological safety, empathy, bias, and macroaggressions.
- Solid understanding of industry benchmarks, leading practices and innovations in DEI.
- Prior experience and strong working knowledge of Banner Human Resources systems or comparable HRIS systems
- Prior experience and strong working knowledge of Hirezon/Interview Exchange or other comparable applicant tracking and onboarding system
- Excellent analytical skills, detail-oriented, combined with an ability to develop and execute creative plans to resolve issues, problem solve, and mitigate risks
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex information in an understandable fashion to a variety of audiences
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Maintains an understanding of policies, procedures, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements relevant to human resources
- Excellent communication skills, service orientation and demeanor necessary to foster working relationships and work collaboratively
- Demonstrates sound judgement, ability to handle large work volume and discretion when handling sensitive issues,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient
- Previous supervisory experience required
- Prior experience working with and contributing to a diverse workplace with the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of constituents on campus
This is a Full-time position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks' vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.