Accounting Technician II
Accounting Technician II
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 03264
Posting Date: 04/05/2021
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date: 04/20/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $3,700.47 per month
Maximum Salary: $5,228.67 per month
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
- Flex 125
- Additional products and services through American Fidelity
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in CalPERS retirement system and Social Security benefits for Classified and Management employees. Employees covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
Benefit Website Link:
College/Site: Porterville College
Location: PC-Main Campus
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform complex technical accounting work in the preparation, processing and maintenance of College and District accounting records.
The Accounting Technician I performs a full-range of accounting functions. The Accounting Technician I and II are both paraprofessional accounting classes. The Accounting Technician II performs the more complex technical accounting assignments.
- Maintain various ledgers, registers and journals; post, check and balance ledgers; draw journal entries.
- Prepare daily journals from cash register sales receipts; process credit card charge invoices through accounts receivable ledger.
- Verify account codes for accounts payable invoices; pay invoices; enter payment information into computer and print checks; verify appropriateness of invoices in relation to use of budgeted funds.
- Prepare financial statements and oversee accounting activities for assigned programs such as food service and bookstore.
- Maintain accounts payable and receivable invoices throughout the fiscal year.
- Analyze account transaction requisitions for proper documentation, signatures, account numbers and sufficient fund balance for payments; enter journal entries for various account transactions into account general ledgers; correct financial records as necessary; maintain financial records.
- Monitor budgets for various accounts; oversee billing for reimbursements of projects for various accounts; verify coding for account transactions; prepare monthly budget reports for accounts.
- Bill state agencies for various projects for campuses, District Office and various programs.
- Prepare journal entries for fringe benefits on various projects; prepare billings to transfer funds from various accounts to general funds; analyze projects for compliance with accuracy and accounting standards.
- Prepare expenditure and billings reports for various state and county agencies; prepare quarterly and yearly financial reports for a variety of college departments; compute quarterly sales taxes for departments.
- Enter payroll data into computer; print payroll checks and payroll check register; gather and send tax form information for the District Office.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements for various payrolls and accounts; prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports as required; distribute to various agencies.
- Process refund requests for students; monitor student fee deferrals; coordinate changes with financial aid office; bill enrollment and material fee charges from the District Office.
- Analyze cash flow.
- Check and approve budget transfers from the college campuses.
- Supervise and train staff involved in collecting, processing and accounting for cash and tickets as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school supplemented by some college-level course work in accounting, business, or a related field AND two years of increasingly responsible experience in the maintenance of fiscal record keeping, accounting, and reporting.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Principles and procedures of bookkeeping and basic accounting.
- General accounting and invoice auditing procedures.
- Pertinent laws, rules and regulations related to bookkeeping and basic accounting.
- Basic arithmetic.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Maintain and balance a variety of financial records, ledgers and accounts.
- Perform computational tasks and other bookkeeping functions with speed and accuracy.
- Audit records and invoices for payment.
- Read and understand financial records, reports and technical and procedural requirements.
- Apply pertinent laws, rules and regulations of bookkeeping and basic accounting.
- Maintain accurate and complete financial records.
- Compile data to prepare financial and statistical reports.
- Operate a computer, adding and calculating machine.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Salary Grade: 41.0
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on April 20, 2021 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
EEO Plan 2018-2021
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
Discrimination Free Work Environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/14938. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency