Carpenter Locksmith (8197C) 16943
Carpenter Locksmith (8197C) 16943 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 16, 2021
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides student housing, residential life programs, self-operated dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, and child care services for students, faculty, and staff; it also conducts a year-round conference business, operates eleven campus restaurants, and manages twenty-six faculty apartments. The Central Maintenance, Design, and Minor Capital Projects units provide a comprehensive group of services to all units within RSSP. These services include performing or managing all building trades and related maintenance services, performing interior design services, space planning, renovation project planning and management services, major maintenance, minor capital planning and project management for RSSP.
This journey level position performs finish carpentry and cabinet making including fabrication, installation, repair of doors, door frames, cabinets, all types of casework including counter tops, customer service desks, mail distribution centers, food service casework, cash register stands, replication and installation of wood windows, interior paneling, molding, trim work, stairs, and related finish carpentry for all RSSP facilities. Incumbent also performs general carpentry and related work including framing, modifications, demolition of existing installations.
General Locksmith Duties:
- Uses proper methods and procedures to perform and complete installation, alterations, and repair work for all types of door, hardware, locks, and related work on existing RSSP buildings.
- Sets up key cylinders and duplicate keys as determined from a master key system and departmental procedures.
- Cuts keys; re-keys and re-pins cores and locks.
- Repairs doors and hardware of various types from initial trouble-shooting to completion of task. Selects proper parts and materials to correctly repair all types of locks and related hardware including door closers, panic hardware.
- Maintains the integrity of records and master keying of all RSSP Facilities.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot, repair, fabricate, construct, and install counters, cabinets, hardware, shelving, chalkboards, plastic laminates, benches, partitions, floors, stairs, decks, and railings.
- Installation and repair of all types of doors, frames, and door hardware.
- Performs all types of carpenter work related to alterations, additions, and repairs of existing RSSP buildings, such as, but not limited to: removal and demolition work, erection of wall framing, door and window installations, installation of drywall, ceiling tiles, etc.
- Fabricate, install and construct framing and finish work associated with excavation shearing, concrete forms, footings, floors, floor covering, walls, ceilings, window and door frames, casements, roofing, stairs, handrails, retaining walls and guard rails.
- Installs paneling, moldings, fixed furniture and cabinets.
- Correctly and safely performs carpentry work using all hand and power tools typical of the trade.
- Uses woodworking machines and tools to build, repair, and restore cabinets and wood items, fixtures in a carpenter shop.
Administrative & Technical Duties:
- Coordinates with project managers and building inspectors.
- Keeps up-to-date, accurate, comprehensive project records including plans, specifications, submittals, schedules, requests, changes, approvals, and costs.
- Consults lead/supervisor or project superintendents who administer requirements and standards for modification of projects.
- Supports maintenance projects and programmatic work assignments.
- Completes paperwork in a neat and timely manner.
- Serves as liaison with clients, relaying their needs and requirements to the appropriate department or superintendent.
- Works and supports shutdowns and project schedules to minimize interference with others.
- Obtains materials and equipment and maintain records.
- Communicates clearly over the telephone and radio.
- Attends safety, technical and general meetings.
- Works from verbal or written instructions, sketches, and plans,
- Selects correct quantity and type of materials and uses hand and/or power tools, standard to the craft.
- Works effectively independently or with others.
- Carries out service requests in accordance with the standard practices of RSSP.
- Executes all job assignments in a safe and timely manner.
- Accountable for his or her own actions within work spaces of the University and RSSP facilities.
- Accurately performs basic mathematical calculations related to performing projects.
- Available for holidays, weekends, weekend on call-procedures, emergencies and shift work.
- Performs accurate material take-offs for projects, plans projects including material and equipment requirements, staffing needs, and estimate time required for completion. Orders/purchases correct materials, equipment, tools required to complete projects.
- Performs all work while conforming with EH&S health and safety policies, OSHA and other applicable federal, state and local fire, health, safety, emergency-preparedness, pollution-prevention policies, RSSP policies and procedures and University of California's policies and procedures, including Code of Conduct, IIPP (Safety and Health Procedures), Hazardous Materials Communications Program, Health and Safety Manual, as well as any other document authorized by the RSSP management to have bearing on employee safety and conduct.
Safety & Health Awareness:
- Completes job related tasks in a safe manner by adhering to appropriate safety regulations.
- Adheres to the Code of Conduct, Health and Safety policies.
- Aware of potential hazardous operations, and takes appropriate precautions.
- Immediately stops work in the event of danger to people or property.
- Proceeds with work only after ensuring that appropriate safety procedures have been implemented.
- Reports all accidents and/or incidents immediately to supervisor for record keeping.
- Attends safety meetings.
- Utilizes good judgment in interpersonal communications in situations requiring sensitivity and tact. Treats customers, co-workers, supervisors and managers with respect and courtesy.
- Works in a cooperative manner with co-workers and promotes a cooperative team environment.
- Has a good working relationship with a complete understanding of the roles of students, faculty, staff and other RSSP employees as clients.
- Demonstrates at all times good communication skills with campus community, including students, building managers, faculty, and craft personnel.
- Interacts directly with all levels of clients throughout the division in defining project requirements.
- Responds to requests for service in a timely manner.
- Supports and achieves organizational goals established to maintain and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Reports progress or delays and refers major problems to lead or superintendent for resolution and informs customers as needed.
- Working knowledge of the Uniform Building Code and related building codes.
- Familiar with all hand and power tools of the carpentry trade, knows their proper application, and has the ability to properly use them.
- Thorough knowledge of doors, frames, fire ratings, proper applications for each type, have ability to accurately purchase and install doors, frames, prep doors for hardware, select and properly install hardware. All installations must meet industry standards with regards to operation, gaps, reveals, and be plumb, level, and square.
- Layout and construct walls and partitions using wood or metal studs, structural and non-structural.
- Layout and perform rough carpentry including structural work, concrete forms, stairs, and related work.
- Layout, construct, install, or repair casework, including the installation or repair of cabinet doors, hinges, drawers, hardware, and locks.
- Properly install, replace, or repair plastic laminate.
- Properly layout, prepare surfaces for and install or repair flooring including VCT and carpet squares.
- Thorough knowledge of window systems including weight, spring, and spiral balance systems.
- Properly remove and reinstall window sash including proper installation/repair of balance mechanisms.
- Thorough knowledge of fasteners and their proper use including nails, screws, pneumatic nailing systems, concrete anchors, powder-actuated fasteners, framing connectors.
- Thorough knowledge of carpentry materials including lumber species, characteristics, standard sizes, applications, adhesives, manufactured materials, concrete and related materials.
- Working knowledge of building codes applicable to locksmith hardware installations.
- Familiarity with all lock types and systems, door closers including floor closers, panic hardware, auto door openers, electric strikes, deadbolts, coordinators, access alarms, gate hardware including their selection, proper application, door preparation, installation, and maintenance.
- Understand and have the ability to develop, assess and correct master keying systems for existing and future buildings.
- Properly cut keys, construct cores.
- Develops and maintains accurate records of key issuance, core tracking, and system changes.
- Develops materials list for stock on hand to ensure timely response in performing unanticipated repairs.
- Must have worked as journey-level carpenter and have performed journey-level locksmith work for a minimum of 4 years.
- Able to work safely at heights; able to gain access to work in small/tight areas and be able to gain access to work or maneuver around obstacles that requires stairs and ladders, able to safely maneuver supplies and objects up to 75 lbs.; sets up and uses scaffolding and/or ladders to perform tasks above ground level.
- Available for holidays, weekends, weekend on call-procedures, emergencies and shift work.
- Reads information from equipment manufacturers' manuals, service request, layout sketches, blueprints, appropriate state and local government codes, trade-specific manuals and practices, and to determine how the material or equipment should perform.
- Understands preventive maintenance and its role in a comprehensive maintenance program. Performs preventive maintenance work as directed.
- Must assist with the development of a preventive maintenance program and perform preventive maintenance work as directed.
- Certifications in specific product skills such as solid surface materials fabrication certification
- Experience in producing shop drawings for casework; the ability to produce accurate sketches of proposed casework designs
Salary & Benefits
The hourly rate for this position is $43.67.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Skilled Crafts Unit (KB) between the University of California and the Alameda County Building and Construction Trades Council (ACBCTC). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=16943&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency